• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 D

13 posts in this topic

The picture is out of focus and over exposed. Both conditions make it hard to authenticate the piece. Here is a genuine 1853 Philadelphia mint quarter eagle. You might compare its details with your piece. As of now I can't make a call up or down as to your coin's authenticity.

1853QuarterEagleO.jpg1853QuarterEagleR.jpg

In that condition with no mint luster? Questionable authenticity. Either it is fake, the pics, or someone dipped it a billion times in MS-70 :D

I've got a scale, I should be able to match weight shouldn't I?

If it's genuine the weight should match, but that won't prove that it is genuine if you fallow what I mean.

As for luster, I think that the nature of picture could be covering up that aspect of the coin. The picture is over exposed.

I'm not sure from the picture because of the exposure issues, but my guess would be yes. Here is an original piece with no coppery toning with which you can compare it.

1861250O.jpg1861250R.jpg