• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help identify German Schutzenfest medal

11 posts in this topic

I recently won an assortment of Swiss Schutzenfest medals at the Heritage Long Beach Signature World auction. The lot contained eight Swiss and one German medal, all in amazing condition. Six came with the display boxes and they all look like they were presented yesterday instead of 100 years ago. I’m quite pleased.

No problem identifying the Swiss medals as I have the Richter books but the German medal has so far been difficult to ID. Here is what I have, translations are a guess.

1862 Frankfurt Schutzenfest Medal

1862Frankfurt-1.jpg

1862Frankfurt-2.jpg

OBV: Die Freiheit Zu Schutzen-Zu Schirmen Das Land, Gelobet

Ihr Schutzen Mit Herz U Mit Hand

Brentwett. D. Sebald. W.

“Celebrate the freedom to protect our beloved country”

REV: Zur Erinnerung An Das Deutche Schutzen-Fest

Frankfurt a/m 1862

“German Schutzenfest in Frankfurt in remembrance”

43mm silver, 26.00 grams, proof or proof like with slight cameo frosting and mirror fields. Plain edge, weighs about the same as a Morgan silver dollar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to be this one:

Frankfurt Medaille 1862

Catalog: J.u.F. 1306

zur Erinnerung an das Deutsche Schützenfest, Frankfurt, stehende Germania mit Schwert zwischen Büchse und Adler / Ansicht der Festhalle, v. Sebald, ca. 40,7 MM, kleine Randfehler

See link here and here and here . This seller has three for sale. They all look like yours.

Hmmm...I guess I can't attest to the diameter.

You will probably find this information useful! :) I did a little more research this morning. I hope this helps you. It has a lot of information about the guy who made the medal, and yours is listed under Frankfurt Am Main. If you want a PDF of the full circular issued by Spink and Sons for this date, let me know via PM and I can email it to you (include your email address!).

-Brandon

spink_and_sons.jpg

drentwett1.jpg

drentwett2.jpg

drentwett3.jpg

drentwett4.jpg

Here is some information from a German publication from 1869. It is a compendium of art and history of Frankfurt, Germany. I have provided my best translation attempt in colored text after the images (I guess the 8 years of German in high school and university have finally paid off!). ;)

-Brandon

archiv1.jpg

Archive for the history and art of Frankfurt; fourth volume 1869

archiv2.jpg

Correction and continuation of two papers: Medals in remembrance of residents of Frankfurt and Coins and medals on historical events in Frankfurt. By Dr. Eduard Rüppell.

archiv3.jpg

(Item 155) Large Medal with a view of the Festhalle.

Obverse: An exterior view of the large festival hall decorated with flags, including a Spanish coat of arms of the double-headed imperial eagle between leaves and banners. Headline in the field: Festhalle. Inscription: In memory of the German shooting festival * Frankfurt a. M. 1862 *

Illustrated in plate II, figure 12.

Reverse: Germania stands next to an oak stump on which she rests her left hand. In her right hand she holds a sword, with which she protects an eagle with outstretched wings. At right is a gun and a shooting disc. In the background the towers of the Cathedral and St. Paul's Church are visible. An Inscription is given in two lines: Outer -- To protect the freedom, to protect the country, beloved; Inner as a continuation -- her shooters with heart and hand. In the exergue: Drentwett D. Sebald F. (the die sinkers).

Diameter: 18 lines.

archiv4.jpg

The figure 12 (as mentioned above).

As for the diameter issue, that is also a bit difficult to determine. The German measurement system of the 19th century was a mess. This medal was struck by diesinkers (according to the first document) in Nuremberg, which is in Bavaria.

In Bavaria, 1 "Fuß" (foot) was equal to 0.2919 meters or 291.9 mm.

1 "Zoll" (inch) was equal (usually) to 1/12 of 1 "Fuß" or 24.325 mm.

1 "Linie" was equal (usually) to 1/12 of 1"Zoll" or 2.03 mm.

18 Linien would then be about 36.5 mm.

HOWEVER, sometimes, 1 Linie was defined as 1/10 of the Zoll, or 2.43 mm. If you use that math, then you get that 18 Linien would be 43.7 mm. It's likely somewhere in between!

What a mess... :) But I'm pretty sure you have the medal described in all of these sources. :blahblah:

-Brandon

Hi Kim,

Certainly seems as though the fellow members did great in identifying your medal.

However, based on the picture and years of collecting I think there is a good chance your medal is WM and not AR. Over the years I had handled many medals that appear silver, sell as silver, etc. but in fact are not silver but white metal, aluminum, silver plated WM, silver plated BR etc.

Your medal's picture looks to be WM to me. Is it actually marked AR?

Just wanted to give you my opinion and as you know; since I don't have it in hand, I am just telling you what it looks like to me. The links to the other medals that the forum member sent also appear to be WM.

Hi Kim,

Certainly seems as though the fellow members did great in identifying your medal.

However, based on the picture and years of collecting I think there is a good chance your medal is WM and not AR. Over the years I had handled many medals that appear silver, sell as silver, etc. but in fact are not silver but white metal, aluminum, silver plated WM, silver plated BR etc.

Your medal's picture looks to be WM to me. Is it actually marked AR?

Just wanted to give you my opinion and as you know; since I don't have it in hand, I am just telling you what it looks like to me. The links to the other medals that the forum member sent also appear to be WM.

I purchased the medal from Kim, but I can check the rims when I get home to see if AR and fineness is marked. It's truly stunning in hand. :)

Could well be that the medal was WM and not silver, but it has a good new home and I am sure will be appreciated.

Rod, here is something from the Heritage lot that you don't see everyday.....

R-1189a-Case.jpg

R-1189a-Obv.jpg

Almost too rare (RR) for my modest collection, really needs to live with a Moore. :)