• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do.... posted by CBC

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

about an incorrect label

I just received the latest addition to my NCG Franklin FBL set - or not.

I bid on and won an auction for a "1951-S NGC MS-64FBL" Frankiln half. The photos in the listing weren't high resolution, but the label information was clear and the coin looked good.

It arrived today; the label is 1951-S, MS-64FBL. The coin inside is a 1951-D. Does anyone attach any value to an incorrect label such as this, or should I just send it back?

The original photo from the ebay listing is attached.

9565.jpg

See more journals by CBC

Hi,

I don't believe there is any value in the wrong label. NGC does make mistakes like this once in awhile. Check the cert number at NGC's website and see if they have a picture of the coin.

Here is one option: Does a 1951-D Franklin at the same grade have the same value as the 1951-S? Might want to have NGC correct the label if you are looking for a 1951-D.

If not...you should be able to return it even if the person has no return policy. Item advertised is not what was delivered.

Best of luck

Jeff

It is FBL. The reverse side has very strong details, all of the bell lines and bell lettering are clear and the reverse looks like a MS-66. The bell lines and overall reverse detail on this one are stronger than the 51-D MS-65FBL currently in my set. I assume the MS-64 grade was given because of several bag marks on the obverse.

A 51-D in MS-64FBL is worth about 1/3 of what I paid for a 51-S. I know NGC will correct the label but won't cover the difference in value so I'm not going there. It goes back to the seller tomorrow.

Thats the best outcome honestly, return it to the seller and continue the search for the coin you thought you were recieving.

Also, as a side note, be sure to double check all certification numbers with the NGC tool found here Verify NGC Certification Tool as there have been alot of coins floating around that have authentic looking labels but wrong coins or worse, fake coins that are not even made of the same materials.

-Chris#2

NGC verifies this cert number as a 1951-S, so it's genuine NGC but incorrectly labeled. I contacted the seller and mailed it back this morning.

Checked my book and NGC has graded 44 examples of the 1951 S in 64FBL & 446 examples of the 51 D in 64FBL. Value of the 51 S a very scarce in FBL was $200-$300 and the 51 D was $100-$200 more for good eye appeal. From Tomaska's first edition Jan 2011 when silver was $15 an ounce.

I'd send it back also if I was looking for the S in FBL, they are all rare.

Larry