• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World publishes column re:Larry Shepherd's removal as ANA Exec Dir.

19 posts in this topic

This morning, Beth Deisher of Coin World staff, published a column regarding ANA's announcement of Larry Shepherd's ANA employment ending and offered a one paragraph statement by Larry as to his tenure while at ANA. Very interesting read. Take it as you will. Posted ats as well.

Jim

Coin World

Don Willis added a more comprehensive statement by Larry Shepherd:

This is the statement that Larry Shepard released:

I am proud of what was accomplished during my three-plus years of employment at the American Numismatic Association.

I worked diligently to restore soundness and trust; and to move the ANA forward and to bring it up to date with modern times, changing member preferences, and current technology. I saw the need for vision and forward thinking leadership, to adjust the ANA to the evolution of the hobby, and I tried to provide that. I employed new staff and implemented new ideas and initiatives to prepare the ANA for the future.

I emphasized the need to attract new members with a broader range of ages and collecting preferences. I recognized the serious challenges that lie ahead, and realized that they would not be met by looking backwards or just re-employing the policies of the past. I challenged the Board and the ANA staff to do the same; to view the future by looking forward, rather than through a rear view mirror. I realize that many people are resistant to or fearful of change, but with an aging and dwindling membership base we could not (and can not, going forward) afford to keep our head in the sand. I knew that my forward thinking policies and efforts to force the existing staff and the Board to deal with uncomfortable strategic issues might create some [dissension] and/or enemies, but I did what I thought was best for the long term-benefit of the entire ANA community, not just the vocal minority.

Following this philosophy I pushed hard for results and accomplished them. Over the past 18 months we made great strides in upgrading the quality of our magazine, thanks largely to Barbara Gregory and her terrific staff. We greatly improved communications with our members, and emphasized transparency through magazine articles, mailings and emails. Through the efforts of RyAnne Scott, my goal of becoming more active in social networking and introducing innovative programs to appeal to members of all ages was achieved. We worked hard to increase the exposure and improve the quality of Summer Seminar, to provide top-flight and affordable education to all our members.

I created the Museum Showcase to bring the educational benefits of our museum to our convention attendees. I viewed [upgrading] our conventions and bourse activities as key components of our overall marketing strategy to promote the hobby. In response we produced the largest, and perhaps most successful and acclaimed convention and coin show in the ANA’s history. Despite the obvious negative reference to that in the ANA’s press release, I am very pleased with that.

I have received enormous praise and appreciation from the members and the dealer community for the job I have done. I believe I achieved for the ANA member and dealer community what the ANA hired me to do, and I will always be proud of that fact.

During my tenure at the ANA I have not violated the ANA employee handbook, or the code of ethics as stated in the ANA bylaws. I did not violate any provisions of the ANA conflict of interest policy. I did not violate federal EEOC anti-discrimination or harassment guidelines (sexual, age, race, etc.).

I offered to the general counsel that I would take a polygraph to clear up any issues or concerns that may have arisen due to unfounded rumors and innuendo, but I sensed they were more interested in finding a cause than in finding facts, as evidenced by my being told on Aug. 20 that I would not be coming back, even before the outside investigation took place.

I want to thank everyone in the ANA community for the tremendous outpouring of support and encouragement I received during this trying period. I especially appreciate the courageous ANA staff members who contacted me from their homes or who expressed their feelings to the numismatic media. These actions have meant a lot to me.

edited this post to add Don Willis' post ats.

I must say, that is a very well written/worded statement. I wonder if it will force the ANA to speak out further on the issue.

I also wonder why Larry took a job, rather than running his own business, again. Regardless, best of luck to him, HB and the ANA.

A progressive thinker running with a herd of dinosaurs will soon be culled out, sad state of affairs for the ANA.

Since I don't know both sides of the story or the facts, I am not ready to reach that (sad) conclusion.

A progressive thinker running with a herd of dinosaurs will soon be culled out, sad state of affairs for the ANA.

Since I don't know both sides of the story or the facts, I am not ready to reach that (sad) conclusion.

Outside the laws of municipalities, state and federal regulations, an organization can convict the innocent before being proven guilty and that is what this appears to be on the outside looking in. With the little known facts in this case, how else is one to think?

Very poor job of disclosure to the members of this organization. I was a member for a few years back in the mid 80's and let my membership lapse because they had flat lined in creativity.

The one statement that bothers me the most, is Larry's where he states that he was told on Aug 20th before any "investigation" that he would not be coming back.

This does not seem to instill any faith in an honorable system of justice by the ANA board to me. Does it to anyone else? Regardless of the boards decision, I cannot fathom the ANA not responding to this statement with facts not fiction. I'm not indicating guilt, only that this statement changes things. All I have heard across the street from the cool aid drinkers defending ANA's decision, was "if Larry is so innocent why isn't he saying so". Now what.

Jim

Whose fault is it that we and the rest of the dues paying members are being kept in the dark concerning this sordid affair?

I must say, that is a very well written/worded statement. I wonder if it will force the ANA to speak out further on the issue.

I also wonder why Larry took a job, rather than running his own business, again. Regardless, best of luck to him, HB and the ANA.

Maybe he was worried about the table locations the ANA would have given him. Like behind the dumpster. :devil:

I would have fancied the idea of going in business with him. MJ

Maybe he was worried about the table locations the ANA would have given him. Like behind the dumpster. :devil:

I would have fancied the idea of going in business with him. MJ

:D

Well, that would be far better than IN the dumpster!

Whose fault is it that we and the rest of the dues paying members are being kept in the dark concerning this sordid affair?

I don't know. Perhaps the "'being kept in the dark" was part of a negotiated agreement between the parties. I would hope that the ANA has a very good reason for having been so vague in their statements.

I think both parties are being "somewhat vague"in order to avoid any possible litigation or damage one's reputation.In this day and age is seems to be the correct way to go.

If you read between the lines in Larry's statement, one could possibly point to those contractual issues that the ANA Board believed were violated and caused their action. I really don't see either side being more forthcoming due to confidentiality agreements, which both sides agreed to, and any breach by either party could be a financial and public relation's nightmare.

His statement was well prepared.

Would there have been as many questions about the nature of the issue had the Statement not included reference to a Polygraph?

Was this purposely meant to be titilating, and deflect and possible future accusatory language by the ANA that could have implied moral or criminal or civil misbehavior?

Is it possible this polygraph issue is the reason it may be interesting or surprising or relevant?

Is it Defense before the Accusation?

A well prepared statement that raises an issue that could be misinterpreted, may not be well prepared.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It's interesting that there is a similar thread on the PCGS coin forum that has been locked down.
Why is that interesting, surprising, or relevant?

I was just gonna say. Sounds like standard procedure for the "Always Open Free Thinking" PCGS boards.

jom

It's interesting that there is a similar thread on the PCGS coin forum that has been locked down.
Why is that interesting, surprising, or relevant?

I was just gonna say. Sounds like standard procedure for the "Always Open Free Thinking" PCGS boards.

jom

The PCGS boards have been accused of many things but being open and free thinking isn't one of them. lol