• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 7/8 morgan

6 posts in this topic

I bought this based off poor pictures, didn't pay much but was still dissappointed when I got it in hand. Think I paid $59. It's very marked up in the fields and looks to have been overly dipped. Thoughts?

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpgIMG_1266.jpg

It is not only marked up, but it looks polished as well. At least it's one of the varieties that show the extra tail feathers strongly, which is important.

Gray Steet bid for the 1878 7 over 8 tailfeather coin is $58 in AU, but this coin is not an AU. From there it drops to about $40 for VF, which would be a reasonable net grade for this coin.

I don't have a picture of 7 over 8 tailfether coin handy, but here is another 1878 ( reverse of '79) silver dollar in lower end Mint State. Note the difference in the luster from your piece.

1878DolRev79O.jpg1878DolRev79R.jpg

Ahhh... I found a picture of an 1878, 7 over 8 tailfeather dollar ...

18787o8TFO-1.jpg18787o8TFR-1.jpg

Close-up

18787o8TFRCloseup-1.jpg

There are quite a few varieties of this including some that litttle or none of the extra tailfeathers.

Thanks Bill,

I figured it was polished as well as the other 2 that I picked up from the same seller. It was not one of my better moves...after reflecting I looked at the sellers coins and all his coins have the same polished look but he uses over exposed pictures to mask much of it.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have returned all 3 but now it is a just a lesson learned.

It makes me wonder if guys like this even realize they are doing more harm than good to the coins...

This appears to be a VAM 36, 7/4 tf. Note the design remains under the olive branch just left of the eagles right foot and below the arrow feathers just to our left of the tailfeathers. This reverse is shared with the VAM 37. The obverse, based on this photo, does not show the broken 4th right star which would be evidence of a VAM 37. The VAM 36 is one of the more common of the 7/8 tf varieties recognized by NGC and is not part of the TOP 100, Hit List, or Hot 50. All 7/8 varieties are long nock.