• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 S Obv; 1947 S Walker- What do you think?

10 posts in this topic

The coins are tough to grade because the pictures are little over exposed.

I'd say that the 1943-S is an MS-63 or 64 with a typical S-mint strike. I think the 1917-S is probably an AU-55 or so. It appears to me that that piece has a slight runb in addition to the usual S-mint strike issues.

I agree with Bill.

I will add - the 1917 is contaminated with PVC. It seems like much of your collection has been exposed to PVC at some point. I would highly recommend giving them all an acetone bath and re-holdering everything not in a slab.

Thank you for your help. I am learning about the acetone bath. Say though these coins have never been in plastic holders or flips until the last couple of weeks when I did put that one in a Kointain so whatever you are seeing is not PVC although there are some issues on the 17s.

Thank you for your help. I am learning about the acetone bath. Say though these coins have never been in plastic holders or flips until the last couple of weeks when I did put that one in a Kointain so whatever you are seeing is not PVC although there are some issues on the 17s.

You have no idea what happened to those coins between 1917 and when you came to own them. They have green gunk on them, and that indicates PVC. Somehow, somewhere, they picked up contamination.

Of course you are correct that I can't account for them since 1917 except I can pretty much account for them since about 1965- there is green- you are correct. They were stored in a vault since the mid- 1970's in paper folders or tissue in an old leather bank bag. Someone suggested the leather bank bag as a possible culprit regarding the green- inside the bag were many other coins of all kinds including copper, silver, gold and steel. The bag was stored in a suitcase a few months that has plastic in it. Anyway that's the way it was so I still don't think PVC- some other things yes.

Someone suggested the leather bank bag as a possible culprit regarding the green- inside the bag were many other coins of all kinds including copper, silver, gold and steel.

Most cases of leather – tannic toning that I have seen were far more generalized than the patches on the 1917-S half dollar. Physics fan is right. The great on that coin looks like PVC. Don’t despair. I bought some political tokens that had had PVC on them for years, and acetone took it off with no damage at all. Just because it’s there does not mean that there is bad stuff underneath of it.

You guys are the pros and I am not (for sure) but I know the coins were never in plastic holders of any kind or albums. One very nice gentleman has been talking to me about what would be good for these coins and I'm getting a better "loupe" to do some closer examination that my current glass allows. I just hauled out the leather bag and looking inside I see only one plastic thing- there is a tiny baggie with an Indian coin in it- thats all for plastic- does not look PVC to me- There is also an old time poker chip- who knows what that is. There was a tiny coin purse in the bag as well which was so old it was complete disentegrating- falling apart. Those coins might have been in it altough I seem to remember some others being in that- who know what kind of chemicals could have been in the purse- but i would guess it was pre PVC- since it is falling apart literally. I know it does not matter how it happened but how to proceed. Thanks all for the help and I am learning a lot from all of the people- JS