• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something different

25 posts in this topic

Japan Meiji 41 (1908) 20 Sen. It's AU, but I liked the color.

470787-1908jpn20s2.jpg

Thanks, guys. Have a great trip, John! This was about as close as I had to the Canary Islands... confused-smiley-013.gif

471818-1940port10c.jpg

That's a little twilight zone-ish Spiny. You made me get confused which side of the street I was on for a second.

I had some Azore Islands (owned by Portugal) coins from a stop I made there on a military flight one time that I'll have to find sometime. Portugal has some nice coins and that is a great looking one you have there. It looks concave on the obverse, is that right?

-john

grin.gif I was just looking for an excuse to post the picture and then saw your post over at CU...

It's a little concave. I think the picture makes it look even more so. The Cape Verde coin (with pretty much the same obverse) I have is the same way.

Those coins are great Spiny. I especially like the 20 Sen - terrific colors. And the 10 centavos is almost medallic in appearance! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

That's a nice looking Japanese coin, the color really jumps out at you!

Any idea where the best place too look for wear is on these guys? I see a bit of rub on the sun's rays on on the lower leaves. I'm fond of the pre WWI era Japanese coins and my aeven add one to my collection one of these days.

-JamminJ

471818-1940port10c.jpg

Nice red color and an attractive uncluttered obverse on this one. grin.gif

-JamminJ

Any idea where the best place too look for wear is on these guys? I see a bit of rub on the sun's rays on on the lower leaves

On the obverse wear usually shows up first on the rays and the surrounding rosettes, with the vertical lines in the center of the sun next. On the reverse the "sen" character (that's the one below the plus-sign "ten") usually goes first.

I can't add any more to Roy's reply except that the light wear shows mainly in the center going outward on both sides of my particular coin.

Here's something really different...

481610-lookitup.jpg

I'll send to first person to id it one of these, if you want it. (obv not shown for the sake of the children) tongue.gif

481615-2003cdn2dr.jpg

(obv not shown for the sake of the children) 481615-2003cdn2dr.jpg
Aw, come on now - she's still a reasonably nice looking lady, even at that age 27_laughing.gif

What's the date, and does it have the "W" mintmark? I can't find any explanation for that mintmark in Krause. Did the West Point mint produce some coins for our neighbor to the north?

BTW, send it to the next one who IDs it - it doesn't fit in with any of my collecting interests.

The copper coin is the one to id and the 2003 New 893whatthe.gif Portrait Twoonie is the prize. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The W mintmark is for the Winnipeg mint, which usually produces the circulation coins while the Ottawa mint produces the collector coins.

Thanks for the information on the Winnipeg Mint. smile.gif

The copper coin is the one to id

emembarrassed.gif Gee, I was looking for chili peppers, not Kowhai leaves.

Krause doesn't value it - do any of the other catalogs qmark.gif

(I still don't need the Canadian bear.)

I knew you'd know it, Brad! I still have your address if you want the Twoonie.

That's the famous (1967) New Zealand/Bahamas mule of a NZ 2c and Bahamian 5c.

Nice job! Not so famous that I heard of it before tonight. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-JamminJ

Here's another colorful 20 sen (Meiji 32 or 1899) that I picked up a couple weeks ago. It doesn't have quite the color that the other one does, but it has really nice luster.

883144-1899jap20so.jpg

883144-1899jap20so.jpg.8856849e4f80ea526b1c45e8930a87f0.jpg

Yeah, I know. Normally I would but I just didn't feel like it last night. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's a different shot that shows the color a little better.

883438-1899jap20s.jpg

883438-1899jap20s.jpg.b345540da5ea7668ce1cb7c33086186d.jpg