• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry Shepherd joins Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.

17 posts in this topic

On behalf of my former employer, Harlan Berk, I am pleased and proud to announce that Larry Shepherd has joined the staff of Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. The following press release has been sent to the numismatic media.

Tom DeLorey

--

Larry Shepherd joins Harlan J. Berk Ltd.

Harlan J. Berk, Ltd is pleased to announce that Larry Shepherd, long time numismatist and former Executive Director of the American Numismatic Association, has joined the U.S. Coin team at HJB Ltd. Larry joins Mike Printz, Robert Greenstein, and David Greenstein in their continuing effort to enhance their presence in the high grade U. S. coin market. Sammy Berk and Dennis Forgue are recognized experts in U. S. Paper Money, Maps and U. S. Medals. Tom DeLorey's encyclopedic knowledge of U.S. coins adds further experience and depth of knowledge to the team as a consultant.

"I'm thrilled to join such a well rounded team of experts. Harlan and the staff at HJB have an outstanding reputation for honesty, integrity and expertise across a broad spectrum of numismatic fields. I look forward to working closely with Mike Printz, who I've valued as a close, personal friend and have respected for his client oriented expertise for nearly 20 years. The opportunity to work closely with Mike, Harlan and the rest of the staff was a strong incentive to join the firm," says Shepherd.

Harlan Berk adds: "Larry's unquestioned integrity and extensive knowledge of rare coins and the coin market allows us to supply our customers with an even larger inventory of high quality coins to choose from. We feel this will enable us to move into the top tier of U. S. Coins, which we have occupied in the field of Ancient Coins for the last several decades. Additionally, Harlan J. Berk Ltd. is able to provide Larry's clients with a wide array of numismatic products and services."

Larry will remain in Colorado Springs for now and can be reached via email at: Larry@HJBLtd.com or via phone at 719.464.8801

--

Best wishes,

Michael Printz

Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.

31 N. Clark St.

Chicago, IL 60602

email: mdprintz@HJBLtd.com

Office: 312.609.0016

Cell: 630.670.3318

Congrats Larry and HJB. Hopefully, you both have formed a long term alliance. I wish you both the best of luck in the present and in the future. I will not renew my ANA membership any longer. I know this will not affect them an iota but it will make me feel better. This is not the only reason, but more or less "the straw..."

Again best ot you both.

Jim

Congrats Larry and HJB. Hopefully, you both have formed a long term alliance. I wish you both the best of luck in the present and in the future. I will not renew my ANA membership any longer. I know this will not affect them an iota but it will make me feel better. This is not the only reason, but more or less "the straw..."

Again best ot you both.

Jim

How can you feel that you have the facts upon which to base such a decision?

Regardless, congratulations to HJB and LS.

Mark,

While not being an accomplished lawyer nor orator, I feel that after having watched the ANA go down hill for the last 12 years or so, then place someone with Larry Shepherd's abilities who turns the organization around, at least financially, and later suspend him for unknown reasons to the membership, behooves me to make a decision. As with all decisions that one makes regarding financial endeavors, such as paying membership to an institution that no longer satisfies any useful benefit to oneself, the reasons may be without merit to others but nonetheless pertinent to the one making the decision. So while I may not have all the facts with which to make my decision in a court of law, it was made in my arena of the hobby I so enjoy.

I hope this perhaps better explains my position, while not necessary meeting with approval of all.

Jim

Mark,

While not being an accomplished lawyer nor orator, I feel that after having watched the ANA go down hill for the last 12 years or so, then place someone with Larry Shepherd's abilities who turns the organization around, at least financially, and later suspend him for unknown reasons to the membership, behooves me to make a decision. As with all decisions that one makes regarding financial endeavors, such as paying membership to an institution that no longer satisfies any useful benefit to oneself, the reasons may be without merit to others but nonetheless pertinent to the one making the decision. So while I may not have all the facts with which to make my decision in a court of law, it was made in my arena of the hobby I so enjoy.

I hope this perhaps better explains my position, while not necessary meeting with approval of all.

Jim

Jim, obviously, you and others should do as you please with respect to your memberships.

But what I don't understand, is why, despite not knowing what happened, so many people are apparently assuming that the ANA acted improperly. It seems that the current board is being punished for the actions/conduct of previous boards.

By the way, I don't claim to know what happened (or what didn't happen) in this instance. It's just that my preference is to remain neutral, unless or until I have the facts. Still, I understand and respect that others might do things differently. It's sort of like collecting - to each his own.

I'm a person who gives the benefit of the doubt in situations. I know Mike but I don't know Larry. He seems to have a very solid reputation in Numismatics. Looks to me like Harlan Berk has a real strong team of Numismatists and I wish them all well!

I'm hoping to see some super nice Classic Commemorative's from them in the very near future. :)

ANA is good for many things, but organization at the top, seems like they continue to make many mistakes. Larry Shepherd appeared to do some nice things for the ANA since he was on board. Best wishes for his continued success with his new position!

Best, HT

It's disturbing the number of big coin dealers who "support Larry 100%" only hearing his side of the story...and the talk by the president of a grading service who supports the possibility of Larry heading a "clean house" of ANA board nominees. This, along with the major dealer who immediately hired Larry and issued a press release suggesting to the ANA that "it's their loss" could be embarrassed if and when the complete details are released.

It's disturbing the number of big coin dealers who "support Larry 100%" only hearing his side of the story...and the talk by the president of a grading service who supports the possibility of Larry heading a "clean house" of ANA board nominees. This, along with the major dealer who immediately hired Larry and issued a press release suggesting to the ANA that "it's their loss" could be embarrassed if and when the complete details are released.

The comments of Don Willis, notwithstanding, I'm not aware of a large number of "big coin dealers who support Larry 100%".