• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's developing your eye?

11 posts in this topic

Does your job/profession lend a hand in developing a keen eye for grading?

For instance,

I know a radiologist (the medical doctor responsible for reading x-ray films) who was an enlisted man during the Vietnam war. His job was to view surveillance photos in order to gather intelligence information. I am sure that this aided him in developing an eye for detail which is a necessity for his current profession.

I, personally, am a cat scan technologist. Being able to spot abnormalities is crucial to being a good technologist. I have been able to expedite care on many occasions because of what I had seen on the scan. I believe that this has lent a hand to me as I develop my skills in the coin collecting hobby. I have been told that I have a decent eye for grading and spotting problems on coins. I am convinced that my job has helped to developed this ability.

Anyone else have a job/profession/etc. that falls into this category?

As a biologist with a heavy background in taxonomy and systematics, I think that my work has aided tremendously with coins. Seeing detail is what taxonomy is all about. Science, in general, is a detail-oriented field, the intense focus aiding in all matters that require analysis.

Hoot

As a poker dealer, I must be constantly aware of all the action at a table. I not only must be looking at the player whose turn it is but those after him to act. This has indeed helped develop my peripheral vision which is a good 80* to either side.

Don't know if it has helped me be a better or more accurate grader, but no coins are going to be able to sneak up on me from the side! grin.gif

David;)

Although I currently work as a hydrogeologist in the environmental world, I previously worked as an exploration geologist, spending hours examining electric logs and then putting together prospective drilling locations for management. The ability to pinpoint minor details often was the difference between a well becoming a producer or a dry hole. I totally agree with Hoot that science is a detail-oriented field, and that has helped me with my ability to transfer that skill to examining coins.

Andy

I believe I owe my keen eyes to aiming up that little white ball and......lol

Actually my eyes are going bad but yet I function well without glasses. One eye has weaken on me somewhat so small print is way too small to read. I would like to blame it on coins as I usually have used the stronger eye to study coins with the loupe. I'm a rookie when it comes to spotting hairlines and AT toning but I'm learning........hopefully anyway!

By the way, I do work on a golf course and play some.

Leo

Although I currently work as a hydrogeologist in the environmental world, I previously worked as an exploration geologist, spending hours examining electric logs and then putting together prospective drilling locations for management. The ability to pinpoint minor details often was the difference between a well becoming a producer or a dry hole. I totally agree with Hoot that science is a detail-oriented field, and that has helped me with my ability to transfer that skill to examining coins.

Andy

Great answers!

I bet another great profession would be the "eye in the sky" in Vegas. They have special security just lookin' for cheaters and they have to notice the smallest of details.

I am a coin dealer. Developing a "good eye" in this profession falls into three categories.

Number 1 is the ability to spot coins for marks, toning and other preservation characteristics that are pleasing to a large number of other collectors and dealers. This gets into esthetics, and opinions can differ on this. But since an early age as a collector, I have had an “eye” with which many collectors seem to agree for very attractive material in the various grades.

Number 2 is the ability to spot coins that have been “worked on.” “Worked on” coins are those that have been artificially toned or have had their surfaces altered in some way. It could be smoothing the surfaces, or using agents like “putty” to fill scratches and marks.

Number 3 is counterfeit detection. This goes into spotting coins that totally manufactured or genuine coins that have been altered to make them look like rarer issues. For example counterfeiters might take a 1909-VDB cent and add an “S” to it. Or there are many 1909-S-VDB cents that are totally counterfeit.

All three skills are needed to be a successful coin dealer with respect to developing “an eye.” THEN you have to add business sense, business skills and the need to develop a thick skin.

BTW I’m near sighted and quite happy to be that way with respect to the business. I can see more with my bare eyes up close that most people can see with a glass. I do use a 10X Bash and Lomb when I’m working, but that’s it. I don’t use or need to use lower power glasses.

I don't think that anything outside of coins is helping me grade coins any better. However, just recently my ability to detect the smallest problems on coins helped in another area. I was buying some diamonds and there was a tray filled with different quality stones. The seller would pick up two stones that looked identical to the naked eye and after examining them with a loupe he would say this is Grade X and this is Grade Y. He handed me the stones and his loupe and said "see if you can see the difference". To me it was very clear the difference. I could see all the tiny imperfections and scratches in the surfaces and the slightest changes of color. He was amazed that I could see all that and stated that some of his customers (he's a wholesaler to the major jewelry stores) couldn't see the difference. He half-jokingly told me that I should get into the business. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think that anything outside of coins is helping me grade coins any better. However, just recently my ability to detect the smallest problems on coins helped in another area. I was buying some diamonds and there was a tray filled with different quality stones. The seller would pick up two stones that looked identical to the naked eye and after examining them with a loupe he would say this is Grade X and this is Grade Y. He handed me the stones and his loupe and said "see if you can see the difference". To me it was very clear the difference. I could see all the tiny imperfections and scratches in the surfaces and the slightest changes of color. He was amazed that I could see all that and stated that some of his customers (he's a wholesaler to the major jewelry stores) couldn't see the difference. He half-jokingly told me that I should get into the business. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rolling stones albums? 27_laughing.gif

Leo

BTW I’m near sighted and quite happy to be that way with respect to the business. I can see more with my bare eyes up close that most people can see with a glass. I do use a 10X Bash and Lomb when I’m working, but that’s it. I don’t use or need to use lower power glasses.

Bill, I too am near sighted and know exactly what you're saying. Up close, without glasses, and with the right lighting, one can see much.

This is one of the reasons that I'm hesitant on getting eye-correction surgery done.

I really liked your example, Greg. Thanks.