• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Main Think that Stops a Coin from MS65 ?

2 posts in this topic

Could you please point out the main detail that Stops a Coin from becoming a MS65 ?

I know there are many things , but Is there one or two main things that seperates a 64 and a 65 ?

This would help alot .

Thanks and Merry Xmas .

Rak,

The describing of differences between grades such as MS-64 and MS-65 is a very difficult task verbally. First and foremost, I would suggest that you take the opportunity to inspect many certified coins either at local coin dealers or at an upcoming show in your area. This is the best way to visualize the standard that NGC employs in its grading of coins. And from this you will notice that an MS-64 differs from an MS-65 generally in the area of contact marks. The MS-64 generally will have contact marks that are immediately apparent or will have contact marks in prime viewing areas of the design, ie the face of the Morgan Dollar. While the MS-65 can have contact, the marks will generally not be distracting or to the point where they are immediately apparent. Other coins might be graded MS-64 due to insufficient luster or light hairlining. These factors can be more difficult to detect and as such require the eye to learn and key in on these detriments. It is for this reason that I urge all collectors to view as many coins as they possibly can. Only by doing this can one become more proficient in grading as well as detecting those factors that go into the art of grading.

Rick