• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone wants to take a coin from your table to get another dealers opinion.

39 posts in this topic

I'm not a dealer, so my situation isn't really identical. But I've never had a positive result when permitting somebody to walk one of my coins to get another opinion. Never. Not once.

I was a dealer for over ten years, and I can count on less than five fingers the times when someone took one of my coins to let someone else look at it and got a positive result.

Of course you can take that both ways. Perhaps I was selling over priced "junk," but since a large proportion of my sales were to other dealers I tend to doubt that. The more accurate reasons might be (1) most dealers don’t want to lose potential sales by promoting someone else’s material or (2) many people don’t want to stick their neck out, especially for no compensation, if the coin turns out to be a problem.

You say no problem. Give me $139.00 and you can take to who ever you want to. You have 1 hour. Come back to me within an hour and let me know if you want to finalize the deal. If you don't return within an hour that means you own the coin.

Carl

I agree 100%

I agree with the allowing a prospective buyer to put down cash or something to secure the taking of the coin like pretty much everyone else on the forum.

That being said, it sounds like the OP is a dealer that I generally stay away from because you seem 100% business and 0% about the hobby. I collect for fun and interest and being a novice I always have a lot of questions. Not because I am trying to "get over" on a dealer or to "waste time". I go to shows and usually spend somewhere between $50-250 so I am by no means worth the time to many dealers, but I go to enjoy the stories from some of the dealers willing to share and those willing to educate.

If you spent from $50 to $250 with me at every show, you would have been most welcome at my table. (thumbs u

But that's assuming I always had something you wanted. I was always more than willing to spend time with collectors who wanted to learn after the rush of the coin show was over. Doing at peak activity times that is not really possible.

I did not detect where the OP stated he was not interested in talking to collectors or caring nothing for the Hobby or not interested in answering questions.

Actually, I detected quite the opposite.

After all, logic is helpful- he did (and does) post on a Coin Forum.

This certainly displays some level of interest in the Hobby.

The thing speaks for itself....

Respectfully, (Always)

John Curlis

I can only recall one time that I asked to walk a coin over to another dealer for an opinion. It was about 20 years ago and to that point I had mostly been collecting circulated coins and had little skill in grading MS coins. The coin was a raw MS half cent. The show was a small local one with about 25 tables.

The dealer didn't know me at all but had no problem with it. Of course he could watch me cross the room at that small show. The dealer I showed the coin to wanted to know where I found the coin because he hadn't seen it on his rounds. If he had seen it he would have bought it himself.

The selling dealer had it labeled MS61 and I bought it. A few months later I took it to the dealer that I had showed it to and asked him to submit it to PCGS for me. He said he would grade it MS62 himself. PCGS graded it MS63. This coin along with another half cent were the first two coins I ever sent in for grading and I still have them both.

Not every person who asks to walk a coin has ill intent and not every dealer asked for an opinion of another dealers coin will give a biased reply. Or maybe the world is different than it was 20 years ago.

It certainly is different, RGT, it certainly is.

What should NEVER change though, is Courtesy and clear communication.

Unfortunately, to a significant degree, these seem to have been among the first victims of our well intentioned efforts.

As an example,I find myself on occasion being a typo opportunist, something I would never have done 20 years ago.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Your set up at a show occupied with a whale for sometime who is buying a rather large, high profit per item currency deal and your in the process of keeping a tally sheet. This will make a slow show into a winner. You have already fought off another person, essentially made him leave the table twice, possibly vest pocket trader who wanted to barge in on your deal to offer you similar material (who you suspected of trying to steal your customer with this ploy).

Up walks a customer who wants to see a coin in another of your cases which is composed primarily of slabbed Walkers, Dollars, Commems, and Gold. It is an attractive, lustrous, clean 1923-S Monroe graded PCGS 63 - You know its 95 Wholesale Bid, cost of $100, $140 Retail and your price of $139 is firm. You quickly show him the coin and quote your price of $139. Seemingly interested in the coin, he then asks if he can take it over to another dealers table and show it to him. He has not purchased the coin.

What do you do? Do you let someone run around the bourse room with one of your coins without purchasing while your tied up with a customer?

In a future post I will tell you how I handled this - stay tuned.

tell him to bring the person by your table for a look-see and tell him no harm no foul

That usually won't work, as it puts the other dealer on the spot.

then in a nutshell this solves the problem (thumbs u

No, it solves nothing.

solves everything as then it puts the ball in the buyers court and most of the time it is someone who doesnot want to buy anyways so it solves everything

I don't believe there would be a positive outcome either.

Your dealing first with a customer who cant decide for himself on buying without someone to hold their hand. If by some miracle you do manage to sell something to this guy there is a real good chance he will bring it back for a return. I have seen this happen.

The dealer he takes it to (for an opinion) has no interest in the transaction if anything either blocking it (to gain the customers business) or trying to make a commission from it like in my case.