• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964D dime

4 posts in this topic

Hello -

I found a 1964 D Roosevelt dime in some change the other day. I was looking at it closer and saw the "D" on the reverse was stamped over something. I went to do some research and didn't see any options for "D over ....." or vise versa. This isn't a double die reverse because none of the letters on the rim are doubled. looking closely it looks like a D over an S maybe? i can't take pics because i don't know how to take one that close that would be good.

Does anyone know what this is? (if its common, sorry i'm a super nub)

If it is actually over anything it would be another D. No way it would be over an S. The S mintmark punch hadn't been used in years (Since 1955) so it was safely put away. The only punches used on any US dies since the early 1900's were the D and S mintmark punches. (O last used in 1909) so by 1964 the ONLY punch available was the D punch.