• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Sharing

12 posts in this topic

very nice coin :) I have thought about purchasing one of these, but I had been uncertian about the "shipwreck effect" designation. First time I had seen one of these I at first thought it was a fake slab for a high price, but after writing ngc with questions, I am now working towards freeing up the funds to purchase one.

-Chris

The shipwreck effect seems to manifest itself in pitting that apparently resulted from coral growing on the coins. You can see it directly to the right and left of Liberty.

That's pretty much what they had told me too, I wasnt sure about it prior to talking to ngc about it since in the pictures it pretty much just looks like someone took course sandpaper (80 grain) and placed it over each side of the coin and then stomp on it to leave the imprints. Definatly an interesting story and presentation box that comes along with these coins from what I had seen. One of the online coin dealers I had stumbled onto are very close to me and the last time I went there to pick up an order, the sales manager allowed me to view one in hand. Very nice presentation set for the price I must say.

You can cherrypick on Ebay, some of the sellers have pretty high starting bids but some start low and usually sell for quite a nice price, 300-400. I bought mine from a BIN seller who also offered Best Offer. So I made an offer and got the her.

I have a SS Republic half also, however it seems NGC at some point changed the labeling or designated UNC's a little different. The UNC's were designated shipwreck effect A, B, or C based on the level seawater damage. If you find the right seller to buy from, there is a real nice wooden presentation box that comes with the coin . Included with the box is a COA, booklet, and National Geographic DVD about the shipwreck discovery by Odyssey Marine Exploration. You can also register your coin in the artifact database www.ssrepublic.org. The United States Issue designation refers to civil war era New Orleans minted coins. In 1861 coins were minted at New Orleans under US control, Louisiana control, and Confederate control. There are identifying diagnostics to positively identify under whose control the coins were minted.

Gary

Those are sweet Halves guys! Thanks for posting the label....I was curious about exactly what Gary elucidated -- whether any mention of the grade was present. They are both really gorgeous coins, congrats!

Malcolm, I love it! VERY nice pic up. Can you post a picture of the NGC label...I'm curious what the labeling looks like. :)

(thumbs u

I was actually going to ask whether the special NGC slab differentiated between the med date, tall date, small date...posting the picture of the slab answered before I could ask.

Amazing that they recovered those coins from that old wreck at that depth and after all of that time.....