• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$100,000 Budget - What coins should I buy?

41 posts in this topic

Even if you could find them $100K mite not buy 2 1893-s and a 89-cc Morgan in au58. So I would look for nice 93-s in xf or 89-cc nice AU 95-s pcgs au53-58 95-o au53-58 93-o au55-58 maybe ms62 1894 au55 ms62/63 1893-cc au55/58 tough to find 1879-cc capped and clear cc au55/58 or ms62 1896-s ms62-64 1903-s au55/58 1904-s ms62/63 1892-s au53-58 90-cc 91-cc 92-cc ms63+ better dates 87-s 88-s ms64/65 99-s 64/65 maybe the 93-s also in vf25, vf 30 and vfr35 84-s au58 1901 au58

Try to find stuff that would appeal to a mix of collectors some high end with the majority like myself who have the commons in higher grades and the real good stuff in AU or better. I have completed my set with the 93-s being the only one that is not at least au. Maybe set a minimum of $800 to $1000 per coin. Go for all PCGS slabs or buy others that will cross.

hi there eagle jim

if you get coin world the on line xoin world is free to subscribers you just go on put in your subscription number in they tell you how to do it then when you get registered for coin world on line

you can then look up any coin on line and they have a graph for each coin and series online if you like graphs like this you will love this coin world on line price listing as it is interactive and can search doing different things

a great tool

also go to ecoinage and you put in the pcgs coin number for any coin and it shows you the latest auction results in a variety of grades

also heritagecoin.con is free to join and you search hendreds of thousanda of auction records and they show you going back even with photos for 5 or six years or more!!! then you can see the price progression of coins in the same graqdes and see which ones really hit it big or are still the same

all good tools to check values and prices to make better decisions for yourself i hope you make all the right ones!

oh and also you can register on teletrade.com too and they have prices realized for lots of stuff and evenmoreso more modern coins another good tool

and you should buy the older sulfur impreginated coin holder for half dollars from the 1930's i got for sale on this boards and put raw halves in them to get them to start to tone a neat collection i am sure in a few short years i am sure you are yojng you got time!!

let me know!!

michael

EZ_E,

Thanks - I am very happy I started this thread, I am learning a great deal.

It's funny that you mention the 1994 Matte Jefferson and the 1998 (I think) Matte Kennedy. I have been telling myself the same thing. Maybe I have found my first two coins news.gif Anyone second the nomination?

Thanks - Jim

Jim, I second it! acclaim.gif

Remember that the 1997 Jefferson is the rarest issue with just 25,000 minted.

Great thread that you've started.

There can be only one answer. If it were me I would buy all key dates in US coins in any denomenation. There are never enough of quality ones and they always sell anywhere and anytime. In 10 years it would very unlikely that a good return could not be accomplished. I know what key coins were 10 years ago, now look at what they bring. that would be my investment if I started over and had $100,000.

Ditto on the key date comments tho for myself I would be heavier on the Morgan side since that is what I collect.

There is always the date set, but which of the 1878's would you pick? Probly the 78-cc in ms66 I suppose. There is always the short set too. The CC's are a popular short set. The S mint coins would be a good short set too in high grade. I saw a 1892-S in PCGS ms66 at Central States that would have blown your budget about twice over. laugh.gif

without thinking about it to hard, or over analyzing it.

just start on the 3 cent nickels micheal was talking about.

there still a bargin today.

or even a nice set of 5$ gold in hi AU to low ms might be the way to go.circa 1800 of course.

but either way welcome to the boards. gossip.gif

thank you for referring to ecoinage as a site where you locate recent auction prices realized for coins. Just thought I'd let you know that it can now be found under www.auctionvalues.com - and you don't have any of the tricky sign-in stuff to go through. If you have any questions about updates, please reach me at the email address provided: raugustin@bvcoins.com.

news.gif

Jim

I would suggest Morgans as they are increasing in value as we coorespond

5/25/04

Mint State 65 Morgan Dollars Jump 8%

MS 65 Morgans are now up to $175 each. This represents a 52% move year to date, 10.4% per month or 2.6% per week. Wow!!

5/20/04

Morgan Dollar Update - May 20, 2004

Spot Silver up to $5.82

MS 64 Morgans - $67

MS 65 Morgans - $165

MS 66 Morgans - $455

As you can see Morgans have been rising for the last month, and they have gone up over the last year but not as dramatically.

All this info was sent to me from my contacts @ Swiss America coin brockers.

If you would like a lead to Swiss America e-mail me and I will make the introduction

Rick Smith skydho@juno.com cloud9.gif

I would suggest Morgans as they are increasing in value as we coorespond 5/25/04

Mint State 65 Morgan Dollars Jump 8%

MS 65 Morgans are now up to $175 each. This represents a 52% move year to date, 10.4% per month or 2.6% per week. Wow!!

5/20/04

Morgan Dollar Update - May 20, 2004

Spot Silver up to $5.82

MS 64 Morgans - $67

MS 65 Morgans - $165

MS 66 Morgans - $455

As you can see Morgans have been rising for the last month, and they have gone up over the last year but not as dramatically.

All this info was sent to me from my contacts @ Swiss America coin brockers.

If you would like a lead to Swiss America e-mail me and I will make the introduction

I would suggest that you delete the Swiss America email without reading it.

An MS64 Morgan is a $50 coin, MS65 is $100, & MS66 is under $300. Those are recent sale prices on eBay.

I would suggest the the following as undervalued sleepers in today's market:

1936-D 3 1/2 Leg Buffalo Nickel - A coin that could ultimately achieve legendary

status. Listed in the Red Book. More rare than the 1916/16 overdate with certainly less than 200 in exitstence. This coin trades at a 1/4 to 1/3 of the level of the 1916/16 because it is not yet as well known. Some speculate only 40 pieces are known. In my opinion, based on my experience and research, there are probably only around 100 pieces plus or minus a few. Can you say "undervalued"?

I also like the 1935 DDR Buffalo, another Red Book listed variety, can still be had for $60 to $100 in Fine condition. Heck, that's about what one would spend with the family at a moderately priced restaurant for a single meal. A pretty rare coin in higher grades.

The objects of this shameless plug are currently being offered in the Buffalo section of the Heritage Long Beach Signature auction. (link below)

Many major error coins can be had for less than $1000. This is a part of the hobby that is growing by leaps and bounds. The true rarity of many of these pieces puts the mainstream "key date" rarities to shame but yet they can be had at a fraction of the price. My current favorites are die cap cent pieces at $100 to $400 and Nickels on Cent Planchets for $200 to $300. These are very interesting and dramatic errors and quite scarce. Again, this smells like a lot of upside potential to me.

Major classic type errors. I specialize mainly in Buffalos but love all other errors as well. Here's the link to this shameless plug:

http://apps.heritagecoin.com/common/search_items.php?source=&cboDenomination=Buffalo+Nickels&cboSaleNo=349&hdnSearch=true&sid=52D1A178B4B72CB37887AE6C42EB110B

I feel that most of these rare buffalo errors will appreciate nicely over the coming years. This is an ever popular series that appeals to almost everyone and most are very rare and not seen that frequently.

Other current favorites of mine are:

1942/1 Mercury - seems cheap to me at around $300 to $400 for VG to F coins. I remember buying the 1918/7-D Bufalos for $250 to $300 in VG just 7 or 8 years ago. Now they're what, $1200-1500 or so? I think this dramatic over-date Merc could follow in the 18/7-D Buffs footsteps.

1974-D Kennedy DDO. A pretty nice spread on this doubled die and quite attractively priced with MS64's in the $60 to $85 range seemingly offering the best value and MS 65's, if you can get one around $300, probably a good bet also.

1946 DDR Walker in MS 63 or better. If one can get an early die state speciman in the $400 range, I'd buy 'em all day long. Also, XF-AU coins can be had for $50 to $125 and seem cheap also for a series that has very little to offer in the way of major varieties.

Just look at the prices out there for some of the modern issues that may have more made at any time. (I'm referring to the modern slab high grade game). I'd be hard pressed to invest alot of money in what seems like a game of "hot potato" to me. Reminds me a bit of the tech stock bubble that burst a few years ago. Being more conservative, I'd stick with coins that are truly rare, under the radar, and not just conditionally rare. Also, everyone seems to think the way to good returns is to load up on the key dates and just sit with them. I hear stuff like, "they'll always be in demand, they're not making any more and there's more collectors coming in because of the state quarter program". Maybe it works out, but I get real worried when everyone is chasing the same stuff. Are there really that many collector's out there trying to fill that 09-S VDB hole in their blue Whitman folders still? I submit that there is a huge speculative element built into these classic key dates' prices right now and they may be a good bit overvalued. Personally, many are priced way above what I'd be willing to pay for them right now, even though I can easily afford them. You've got to be cautious when you hear guys talking about putting these things in thier IRA's or funding their kid's college accounts with these things. When you realize that many of the coins I've mentioned above can be had for the same or a fraction of the money of the ultra-grade moderns or classic key dates (09-S VDB's, etc.), it should make one wonder if there might be opportunity in some of these off the beaten path coins and maybe they represent a more conservative area to collect and invest your money in. Just food for thought.

These sincere suggestions of a few coins to add to your collection are the compliments of myself and Miller Lite.......(g)

Good luck with your 100K!

Just my humble opinion, but I would grab all the rare key date Washington Quarters in Mint State that I could. Immediately 1932-D & S, 1934-D, 35-D 36-D 37 D& S 38 P&S, 39-S and 40-D come to mind. Why? Because of the low mintages of most of them and "Supply versus demand" .

Just think about a ratty G-4 1916-D Mercury Dime and how much one must pay for the worn out piece. In the not too distant future, all the MS pieces will be in the hands of people like us and all that will be left to pick from(especially the 32-D & S) will then be circulated pieces and eventually a G-4 32-D or S will be worth a considerable premium. Heck, I see people paying hundreds of dollares for worn out circulated pieces NOW!

In summation, it doesn't just have to be Washington Quarters but buy very nice key coins that have growth potential versus having already reached their pinnacle. smile.gif