• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get new coins?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a comic guy. As a comic collector, we go to the comic shop every Wednesday and pick out the best copy we can find. This is part of the fun of comic collecting. How do I get the best/uncirculated new coins? Thanks. Happy Holidays. smile.gif

Exactly the same way as you do comics.

Auctions (online or live)

Coin shops

Other forum collectors

And like comics, unless you know how to grade or trust the seller, it is best to stay away from the raw coins.

depends on what you collect. Modern collectors can search through bank or mint rolls of coins, the annual mint sets, pocket change and of course e-bay. smile.gif If you have a nice bank, they usually have no problem selling you rolls and bags at face value (just dont try to bring them back after you are done searching)

Classics collectors mostly from shows, shops, and auctions and the occasional estate sale (usually junk though)

You might try the U.S. Mint. They sell new coins every year. You can set up a subscription to receive any new coins made, usually a week or so before they are delivered to the banks, or buy the coins outright. (fast delivery)

I get the mint, proof (clad+silver) sets delivered to my house, when they come out.

I also get a roll of the state comm. quarters (P&D) sent to me, (Gem BU), as each state coin is released.

The U.S. mint has a website; and you can buy new coins online.

You'll be amased at what they sell, and what you can buy, from the convenience of your home computer.

Most of the regular issue coins are still not available from the mint. You can get these from the banks in brand new rolls, but in some cases there will be no nice coins available from this source. Generally the best coins go into mint sets. Only from about .5% to 6% of these coins will be really choice. Attractive gems are usually available a little more frequently.

I usually get about 50% of my new coins off of online sources. I use a whole myriad of them. I use David Hall, David Lawrence, Teletrade, the Mint, Heritage, and Ebay. I actually enjoy and prefer using Ebay, you can get nice coins cheaply. I've had no problems at all so far. (knock on wood) The other 50%, I'll go to local coin dealers and bourses. I enjoy the human interaction; if it wasn't for that I would do all my shopping online. As always, take care.