• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plastic Bags for storing Silver coins

16 posts in this topic

Hello. I was looking at some of the small baggies for storing coins. I had a couple of questions.

1) I have read about PVC issues with the flip holders and I have read that baggies for food should not have PVC as is prohibited by feds. Do you think these little baggies that are not for food are PVC free or should I watch out? I wrote to the importer but have heard nothing- they are Made in China of course.

2) Besides the PVC issues are these decent for conservation?

3) If you were a buyer and your coin came in one of these baggies would you feel that was OK or not?

Everyone here is so nice and well informed. I appreciate everyone's comments. I am trying to liquidate an old family collection as there are no heirs to pass it on. It's mostly US Silver. Thank you.

Hi. My opinion is that you should never use these baggies. The PVC rule is not regulated well in China (I went there) and there are some materials that are NOT banned but can harm coins. Especially if the company does not respond to e-mails. I use glass containers to store some of my coins, and a tin box does best for bulk.

.. PVC can be removed from the coin but of course the damage can't. If someone sold me a bag with coins like that, I would pass on the offer unless the bag is obviously PVC free and passes the smell test (smell, if it smells like plastic, I won't buy, this works for some other harmful materials too).

Thanky you both for responding. The bags do not have a strong smell like PVC. I'll give them a day or two before deciding on the email issue. I read an article about PVC plastics a while back and they are hard on people as well as coin! The article said the vinyl shower curtin may be the most toxic thing in the home.

So what do people want coins they buy to come in? Paper flips and or plastic non-pvc flips?

I don't trust the Chinese manufacturers anymore myself. It seems they do make a lot of PVC plastic consumer goods.

I get that it might not be best to send coins to buyers in baggies.

I joined up with your organization today so I will be back to these boards many times with my stupid questions I can't answer on the internet. Thanks.

Hello. I was looking at some of the small baggies for storing coins. I had a couple of questions.

1) I have read about PVC issues with the flip holders and I have read that baggies for food should not have PVC as is prohibited by feds. Do you think these little baggies that are not for food are PVC free or should I watch out? I wrote to the importer but have heard nothing- they are Made in China of course.

2) Besides the PVC issues are these decent for conservation?

3) If you were a buyer and your coin came in one of these baggies would you feel that was OK or not?

Everyone here is so nice and well informed. I appreciate everyone's comments. I am trying to liquidate an old family collection as there are no heirs to pass it on. It's mostly US Silver. Thank you.

1) PVC plastic is not used for the manufacture of plastic bags. They are completely coin safe, probably even the Chinese ones.

2) I use Ziplock brand freezer bags for coin storage all the time. They provide excellent protection but should only be an "outer layer", i.e. coins should firstly be stored in holders and tubes designed for coins and then placed into ziplock bags. I take that one step further, I put those bags into tupperware-type containers. The key to keeping your coins corrosion/toning-free is a multi-layer approach and to store them away from extreme temperature and extreme temperature swings.

3) I would have no problem buying coins in bags.As long as there's no excessive moisture INSIDE the bags, the coins are probably fine. Nonetheless, I greatly prefer modern 2x2's and Airtite brand holders.

Thank you for your comments and ideas. I did get a email back from the distributor and they wanted additional information which I provided so I am expecting to hear back from them and see what they say about PVC. My primary interest in collectibles is pinback buttons and these bags are very popular with many dealers for pinbacks. IMHO they have their limitations for that purpose because of the moisture issue you raise. Moisture is the worst enemy of celluloid pinbacks and even a day or two of condensation in the baggie could destroy a valuable pinback. When ever I do use a plastic bag for storage of a collectible I will not completely seal it as to attempt to avoid condensation or trap moisture. Fortunately for me I live in the high desert so I don't have moisture problems but anything I would ship elsewhere I would not tightly seal a baggie. I get the preference for flips. Thanks JS '

PS: When I hear back from the distributor I will post their response.

I received this response from the product distrubutor which states there is no PVC in the baggies in question!

Dear John

Thank you for your interest in Darice products.

Item# 1115-01-WAL does not contain PVC. It is made from LDPE (Low-density polyethylene). I hope this will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Melissa Priefer

Product Compliance Analyst

Darice Inc.

13000 Darice Parkway; Park 82

Strongsville, OH 44149 USA

Tel: 440-238-9150 ext. 3167

Fax: 440-846-0991

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:10 AM

To: ProductCompliance

Subject: Item : 1115-01-WAL 2 X 3 BAGS RECLOSABLE 100/PKG DWO

-----Original Message-----

From: jsilver@rconnects.com [mailto:jsilver@rconnects.com]

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:49 PM

To: WEB Customer Service

Subject: Question

Hello- I recently purhased a number of your Fashion Accessories

Reclosable Bags from Walmart. The bags are great and now that I found

your web site I may purchase more from you directly in the future.

I need to ask a question- Do these bags contain PVC?

I am looking to store coins in some of them and other colectibles

which are not coins. This is not a health related issue and I

understand because the baggies are not for food use it would be

perfectly fine if they did contain PVC. The question involves

certain condition issues regarding long-term- like years- storage of

coins.

Thank you for your help.

John S