• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you bought this, would you be happy?

43 posts in this topic

I'd certainly be unhappy. Because, from the little bit I see, the coin looks dark and unattractive.

Of course, I rarely buy sight-unseen and when I do, it's at levels at which I don't think I have much downside.

Very well. In that case, then I would answer, NO I would not be happy. I hate the Heritage stickers as much as you do. Mostly because I think there are better solutions (as I noted in my other reply). On the up side, I have never been upset with the quality of the coins I have received from Heritage auctions.

If you bought this, would you be happy?.

No, I would either sue or return it (angrily).

Even if NGC coins are still said to go sight-unseen, not seeing the slab can lead to other issues. I don't see as much of a problem about the poor handling of the package (I still do), I see a HUGE problem if the contents inside were mistreated. Especially if I paid a premium for it. rantrant

Even if NGC coins are still said to go sight-unseen, not seeing the slab can lead to other issues. I don't see as much of a problem about the poor handling of the package (I still do), I see a HUGE problem if the contents inside were mistreated. Especially if I paid a premium for it. rantrant

[font:Comic Sans MS]Was he thinking what he wrote or was he writing what he thought he was thinking? [/font]

Chris

[font:Comic Sans MS]Was he thinking what he wrote or was he writing what he thought he was thinking? [/font]

Chris

Uhm... both?

Chris

Uhm... both?

No wonder it doesn't make any sense.

Chris

Chris

Uhm... both?

Uh...

?

:shrug:

Uhm... :signofftopic:

Chris

hm

Chris

Uhm... both?

Uh...

?

Chris

hm

"Um" is a two-letter interjection; so is "uh"; "Hm" isn't.

There is no need to embellish my posts. I am perfectly able to accurately translate my thought processes into text.

Chris

I understand the problem with the smashed package left on the doorstep. I'd be upset about that also (although, I really think that is the Post Office's problem, not Heritage).

Not to sound cavalier, or offend, but as for the slab - Heritage puts stickers on things. Everyone knows this. Stickers peel the hologram. Everyone also knows this. I'm not seeing the big deal here. Yeah, the sticker came off. So what. Did you buy it for the slab or the sticker or the coin?

Chris

Uhm... both?

Uh...

?

Chris

hm

There is no need to embellish my posts. I am perfectly able to accurately translate my thought processes into text.

Chris

Chris

Uhm... both?

Uh...

?

Chris

hm

Chris

?? :makepoint:

It's obvious to everyone that you are unhappy with this slab. Suggest you return it to Heritage for either a refund or give them the opportunity to have it reholdered for you. Some brands of stickers peel off relatively easily without destroying the hologram while other brands of stickers use super-glue or something similar that destroys the holograms on older slabs. Maybe Heritage should change brands of stickers to a brand that's a little less destructive. Sometimes it helps to put a little mineral oil or Goo-gone on the label and let it soak over night to loosen the glue a bit.

PH, I believe it is an old fatty holder, so reholdering it will not solve the issue. I wonder if NGC has any of those old stickers lying around that they could apply to the slab (or even substitute a new sticker).

To the answer the question of the OP, if I liked the coin, it would not bother me if the hologram sticker had peeled off the reverse. I own and have owned fatty slabs with and without the sticker, and I really do not care either way--so long as the coin is nice, and the plastic is physically mostly intact.

PH, I believe it is an old fatty holder, so reholdering it will not solve the issue. I wonder if NGC has any of those old stickers lying around that they could apply to the slab (or even substitute a new sticker).

To the answer the question of the OP, if I liked the coin, it would not bother me if the hologram sticker had peeled off the reverse. I own and have owned fatty slabs with and without the sticker, and I really do not care either way--so long as the coin is nice, and the plastic is physically mostly intact.

I have some with and some without, and I feel the same way. It's nice to have a few of the old fatties, but I didn't buy them for the hologram.

Chris

I would be upset mostly with the postal office for the care your package recieved. As for the hologram on the back of the slab, since I am guessing you bought this slab because of it being an older style slab and not so much for the coin that is inside of it, I hate to say it but I'd have to consider it a lesson learned about buying slabs such as this from major auction houses (since most of them place their own tracking label on the coin slabs) and try to avoid this situation in the future. Do I feel it was a poor choice to place their label over the NGC hologram (security device from NGC to help verify the slab is not a fake) when there are other options such as placing the slab into a non pvc bag that they could of placed their label onto, definately. But I do not feel it's worth talking down on Heritage simply because of this. A better plan of attack would be to contact Heritage about your concern and maybe they might be open to entertain an idea of using a non pvc bag to place the slabs into so that their labels will no longer destroy one of the security features the tpg uses on that style of slab.

Please dont feel that I am defending either party as I can see how each side would view the situation at hand. I am simply saying that there are other alternatives out there to prevent this situation from happening in the future. Does Jim have a legitimate reason to be upset? Yes, but his problem should be mostly directed at the postal office because of the handleing of his package. Myself, I dont care if the coin is only worth $20 or worth several thousands, with the amount of thefts of packages being left outside on door steps, I personally dont feel that the post office should be leaving packages outside of any building. If it wont fit in the mail box, they should leave a card saying that you have a package waiting at the office to be picked up. Same idea goes for those who ship the coins, insured or not, delivery confirmation is not the safe way to send things such as this since all the postal worker does is scan the package to say that it has been droped off, this does not mean it actually made it to the correct address (have had this issue a few times in the past) but just simply means that they had droped the package off. Requiring a signature eliminates alot of this since if no one is there to sign for it, they wont just leave it sitting outside for anyone to pick up, instead they place a card in the mail box saying that you have a package to sign for. I honestly wish more shippers would use this service since is it much more secure for the purhcaser and seller alike. Seller would know that the purchaser did in fact recieve the item and the purchaser would be able to inspect the package at the time of pickup so that if an insurance claim needs to be made they will see it at that time.

Sorry if I got a little off topic.

-Chris#2

I would be upset mostly with the postal office for the care your package recieved. As for the hologram on the back of the slab, since I am guessing you bought this slab because of it being an older style slab and not so much for the coin that is inside of it, I hate to say it but I'd have to consider it a lesson learned about buying slabs such as this from major auction houses (since most of them place their own tracking label on the coin slabs) and try to avoid this situation in the future. Do I feel it was a poor choice to place their label over the NGC hologram (security device from NGC to help verify the slab is not a fake) when there are other options such as placing the slab into a non pvc bag that they could of placed their label onto, definately. But I do not feel it's worth talking down on Heritage simply because of this. A better plan of attack would be to contact Heritage about your concern and maybe they might be open to entertain an idea of using a non pvc bag to place the slabs into so that their labels will no longer destroy one of the security features the tpg uses on that style of slab.

Please dont feel that I am defending either party as I can see how each side would view the situation at hand. I am simply saying that there are other alternatives out there to prevent this situation from happening in the future. Does Jim have a legitimate reason to be upset? Yes, but his problem should be mostly directed at the postal office because of the handleing of his package. Myself, I dont care if the coin is only worth $20 or worth several thousands, with the amount of thefts of packages being left outside on door steps, I personally dont feel that the post office should be leaving packages outside of any building. If it wont fit in the mail box, they should leave a card saying that you have a package waiting at the office to be picked up. Same idea goes for those who ship the coins, insured or not, delivery confirmation is not the safe way to send things such as this since all the postal worker does is scan the package to say that it has been droped off, this does not mean it actually made it to the correct address (have had this issue a few times in the past) but just simply means that they had droped the package off. Requiring a signature eliminates alot of this since if no one is there to sign for it, they wont just leave it sitting outside for anyone to pick up, instead they place a card in the mail box saying that you have a package to sign for. I honestly wish more shippers would use this service since is it much more secure for the purhcaser and seller alike. Seller would know that the purchaser did in fact recieve the item and the purchaser would be able to inspect the package at the time of pickup so that if an insurance claim needs to be made they will see it at that time.

Sorry if I got a little off topic.

-Chris#2

Chris, on one hand, Jim was apparently upset enough to start two threads on the same topic. On the other hand, when I asked him if he had contacted Heritage and provided constructive suggestions, as opposed to ranting (in part unfairly and inaccurately) here about it, he replied as follows :

"First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT???? "

It must be easier and more fun to gripe about it here, instead of actually trying to get something done about it. ;) And thus far, he has blamed Heritage for the package having been left without a signature, even though he doesn't know if that was the fault of Heritage or the Post Office.

Jim, I like the suggestion to see if NGC can replace the hologram. Call and ask. They're friendly, helpful folks. Maybe they can scare some up. No doubt you'd have to mail the coin.

Worth a shot?

Lance.

Chris, on one hand, Jim was apparently upset enough to start two threads on the same topic. On the other hand, when I asked him if he had contacted Heritage and provided constructive suggestions, as opposed to ranting (in part unfairly and inaccurately) here about it, he replied as follows :

"First, I do not work for heritage, and I do not work for free. Why should I contact them? I am keeping the coin, there is absolutely no reason for me to contact them whatsoever.

It must be easier and more fun to gripe about it here, instead of actually trying to get something done about it. ;) And thus far, he has blamed Heritage for the package having been left without a signature, even though he doesn't know if that was the fault of Heritage or the Post Office.

Clearly, the OP is a member of Congress. meh

jom

I know it's an older no line fatty holder but with the hologram destroyed it's no longer a collectible slab and a new slab is an option---at least when you look at the coin in a new slab you aren't reminded that the original slab was ruined. I doubt very much that NGC has any left over holograms that can be added to the slab like a sticker. These holograms appear to be printed directly on the slab shell as part of its manufacturing process.

Clearly, the OP is a member of Congress. meh

jom

lol...Clearly the OP is upset about his sticker, I would be too. It's just a shame. I have a couple of these old fattie green slabs and I like them to be blemish free, sticker and all just like my coins. They're already collectable and I think they're cool....Joe

Dude. You are obsessed. Dude........ Another thread because your hologram came off? Dude. The second you started to peel back, and some of the hologram began to be removed, you shoulda said 'okay I stop here and get more info - mebbe therez a way to get it off and keep the hologram'. But nooooooooo, you jest decided to go ahead so you could trash Heritage. Dude. Puhlease...... Can we discuss numismatics on these boards, or should we have two threads to rant at Heritage for putting a sticker on a slab. Doooooode!

Would I be happy? Maybe, or maybe not. But I would most likely be disappointed. That's because I agree with the premise that there is no need for a gigantic (relatively speaking) sticker on a slabs particularly when applied in such a way that removal will prove to be an extremely annoying pain in the butt.

That is so 1980s.

Barcodes are easy to print on very small stickers with human-readable text AND adhesive that permits safe and easy removal. Heritage wouldn't be out much investment for something like that.

On the other hand, I usually buy certified coins with intent to bust them out anyway, and if that were the case, then of course I wouldn't care at all about the hologram.