• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed with Heritage (re-titled)

91 posts in this topic

Sitting on my doorstep is a crumpled up package is my latest purchase from Heritage. Over $1000 purchase, just sitting there in smashed up USPS package. No signature required.

Inside is my purchase for over $1000, for just anyone to pick up.

In the package is an old NGC fatty-green holder coin, that I paid a premium for. On the back of the holder (along with all other coins inside) are Heritigate stickers. The old fatter Green-seal has the heritage sticker glued on so tight it can not be removed without pulling off all NGC stickers underneath.

Did that really happen? If the thing is true about the NGC stickers, can you return it? I wouldn't accept a package (and holder) like that.

Sitting on my doorstep is a crumpled up package is my latest purchase from Heritage. Over $1000 purchase, just sitting there in smashed up USPS package. No signature required.

In the package is an old NGC fatty-green holder coin, that I paid a premium for. On the back of the holder (along with all other coins inside) are Heritigate stickers. The old fatter Green-seal has the heritage sticker glued on so tight it can not be removed without pulling off all NGC stickers underneath.

WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE AT HERITAGE????

??????

What do you mean by "NGC stickers underneath"? I am not familiar with any NGC stickers. Are you, by chance, referring to the hologram?

Also, do you know for a fact that Heritage shipped without a signature being required, rather than that the postal employee messed up?

Edited to add: Heritage stickers on the holders is nothing new.

WHO THE HELL IS IN CHARGE AT HERITAGE????

??????

The problem is with the United States Postal Service, not Heritage. Every purchase I have made at Heritage has been shipped and fully insured for the purchase price. Any package that is insured via USPS for more than $200 requires a signature. If a signature was not required, then you need to complain with the post office and your mail carrier should be reprimanded. I had this experience not too long ago with some silver that I sold. The mail carrier apparently left a $1400 package in a business mail box on the weekend. I was very angry about the whole ordeal.

Prior to opening the package you should of taken it right down to the local post office and filed a reprot about the care of your package. At that time they would of had you open the package in front of them so that they could see if anything had been damaged or not. Being that you found it on sunday, it had to have been sitting there since your mail had been delivered on saturday since there is no mail deliveries on sundays.

There may not have been a signature required depending on how the sender shiped the package, some send them as "delivery confirmation" which does not need a signature. They simply scan the bar code and leave it at the residence. I am not sure if this is the case or not with this package, but look on the package to see if you see a neon green colored label with a bar code on it. In the green strip it will say if it was "delivery confirmation" or not.

In any case, this may be an issue you need to take up with both the postal office for the condition of the package and with heritage for placing the sticker over the hologram on the back of the slab.

I got that package, regardless of how careless it was delivered. It pisses me off, but it made it. I won't buy from them again knowing them they just dump them on one's doorsteps.

The Heritage stickers over the slabbed coins is nuts. Why do they do that? ??? Maybe they should remove the coin from the holder and scratch the out of it and then send it.

Heritage has lost ALL credibility.

Here is the sticker before Heritage stuck their on in.

Why did the ruin my coin?

First off, it's common knowledge that the hologram stickers on old NGC and PCGS Slabs comes off rather easily.

Armed with this knowledge, folks use other means of removing the Auction House Stickers than simply pulling them off. Especially if its the slab that folks are interested in.

Secondly, Heritage did not ruin your coin as the coin is unharmed. They simply placed the auction lot sticker where they always place the auction lot sticker.

I believe that they place these stickers on the slabs immediately after they are photographed.

If you are truly unhappey and its been less than 7 days since you received the coin, try contacting Heritage to arrange a return.

Heritage also self insures and I've never had to sign for a package from them unless they sent it Registered Mail.

I agree that placing the stickers over the Holograms is not the best way to go but all auction houses do it. They can be removed safely with some patience.

Gee, you need to lighten up. You got the coin, and it was fine.

Plus, whining on a forum on a Sunday night and expecting Heritage to "step up" is rather silly.

I have received dozens of coins from Heritage, left inside my screen door, without event. No one at Heritage beat up your package, and if the coin arrived okay within the beat up packaging, who cares what the package looks like? Were you expecting it gift wrapped with a bow?

Regarding the NGC sticker on the back of the slab peeling off with the sticker, it happens all the time, and it does not affect the value or condition of the coin inside.

But it DOES affect the desirability of the slab and as strange as it seems that IS important to some people.

I agree that usually Heritage ships self insured, in which case there would be no requirement for a signature.

I'd be unhappy with having my purchases dumped on the front step of my residence. The way to fix that is to rent a post office box and use it for your hobby activities. If a seller does not want to send my purchases to my PO box, I won’t do business with them PERIOD. There are plenty of other sellers who are willing to work with me on this. Nobody gets my home address … NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

When I was kid collector I gave my apartment address to a few dealers. Sure enough when I got home there would be envelopes with big pictures of coins sticking out of my mail box. You might as well have been put a sign that read, “ROB MY APARTMENT” on the front door.

As for the holograms on old NGC holders, I’d say it comes with the territory. If you are collecting old slabs, I can see the point. But as a collector I can live with it because I’m far more interested in the coin than the holder.

Unfortunately the big auction houses have to put markers on their inventory and consignment items to keep everything straight. That means stickers, and since just about every sticker there is can pull the holograms off of the old NGC slabs, it’s bye-bye hologram.

First off, it's common knowledge that the hologram stickers on old NGC and PCGS Slabs comes off rather easily.

If it's common knowledge, why did Heritage screw up by putting the sticker on the hologram? I hate to see these old holders get ruined like that. Heritage screwed up and you should return it for a full refund unless you can live with it the way it is. Another option is to get it reslabbed if you really like the coin because it'll bother you every time you look at the old slab and see the hologram has been ripped off.

If it's common knowledge, why did Heritage screw up by putting the sticker on the hologram? I hate to see these old holders get ruined like that. Heritage screwed up and you should return it for a full refund unless you can live with it the way it is. Another option is to get it reslabbed if you really like the coin because it'll bother you every time you look at the old slab and see the hologram has been ripped off.

Looking at the picture provided, I'm not certain there is enough room on the back of the holder to affix the sticker without covering up either part of the hologram or part of the coin. And in this case, it was a small coin, as opposed to a large one. The latter would make the task that much more difficult.

I got that package, regardless of how careless it was delivered. It pisses me off, but it made it. I won't buy from them again knowing them they just dump them on one's doorsteps.

The Heritage stickers over the slabbed coins is nuts. Why do they do that? ??? Maybe they should remove the coin from the holder and scratch the out of it and then send it.

Heritage has lost ALL credibility.

All auction houses put these stickers over the holograms. Heritage is no different from the others. Does that mean now you won't buy from any of them? If so, you will likely lose out on alot of nice coins for your collection. Good luck with that........

The post office is responsible for plopping down the package on your doorstep, not Heritage, you should take measures to keep that from happening, as others note, get yourself a PO Box at a UPS store or USPS office to solve that problem. Worth every penny.

Heritage sells coins, not slabs, and they have been putting stickers in that location since time immemorial.

The coin that was occupying the slab you bought, an MS64 1842 half dime, cost you significantly less than 4 out of the 5 most recent such coins Heritage has sold. Also, while not totally peeled off, the hologram on the slab was already somewhat compromised before the sticker was put on it. If you really feel the coin was ruined, I'll pay you BU details money for it, and you are welcome to go after Heritage for the difference.

I believe that this thread's title is unfair to Heritage.

I agree.

Before I opened this topic I thought that the person who was posting had had a coin lost or a dispute on a settlement or something. Those are the kinds of problems that can cause problems for all concerned. But the problem is with a delivery, which I will agree was not as good as it should have been, and a hologram.

When I was dealer I put stickers, that left no residue, on the back of the coins in my inventory. Sometimes even those stickers would remove a piece of the hologram. I tried to avoid the hologram, but if it’s a big coin like a silver dollar, what are you going to do? I only had one customer who obsessed over holograms in all the time that I was in business.

The post office is responsible for plopping down the package on your doorstep, not Heritage, you should take measures to keep that from happening, as others note, get yourself a PO Box at a UPS store or USPS office to solve that problem. Worth every penny.

Agree that USPS are the ones to blame for plopping a package at your front door and you not seeing it until Sunday. I never use my front door so I can see how you could miss it.

On the other hand... why doesn't Heritage use a company like FedEx or UPS that have great tracking capabilities. I can't stand getting packages from USPS because of their tracking capabilities.

I actually have a decent USPS delivery person; he will place packages out of view but in places he knows I look or he'll place something in my mailbox stating there is a package in between the screen door and other door.

Though I don't put full blame on either company (Heritage or USPS), I can see there is an issue with this particular shipment. I buy $3 sets (uncirculated or proof) and not $1000+ in coins, so a package to be placed at my front door isn't a big deal.

But it DOES affect the desirability of the slab and as strange as it seems that IS important to some people.

I agree that usually Heritage ships self insured, in which case there would be no requirement for a signature.

I enjoy the aesthetics of the slab as much as, if not more than, most. Having the hologram sticker peel off would not cause me to go ballistic and start a thread over it. I guess I am strange in that way.

Well I think the coin needs to be cleaned anyway since there's just too much tarnish on it, so I'll just crack it out and rub steel wool all over it followed by a baking soda paste rub -- then put in the rock tumbler for 24 hours, that's the way to clean these things right?

Well I think the coin needs to be cleaned anyway since there's just too much tarnish on it, so I'll just crack it out and rub steel wool all over it followed by a baking soda paste rub -- then put in the rock tumbler for 24 hours, that's the way to clean these things right?

Wow, it's a good thing you don't collect comics. I just looked and Comiclink put a 1 inch by 3 inch sticker on my slab. I am not sure how big Heritage's sticker is on CGC slabs. The item inside the holder is what's important. Try to remember you are collecting the coin, not the slab.

That would nullify my above offer.