• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880S Morgan

16 posts in this topic

Whoops, forgot to answer the question.

I'd take it for the silver, around $28. But it has questionable color, so I would leave it alone.

I'd take it for the silver, around $28. But it has questionable color, so I would leave it alone.

My guess is that the white balance is off.

White balance? Never heard of that before. Can you please explain what it is?

"White balance (WB) is the process of removing unrealistic color casts, so that objects which appear white in person are rendered white in your photo. Proper camera white balance has to take into account the "color temperature" of a light source, which refers to the relative warmth or coolness of white light. Our eyes are very good at judging what is white under different light sources, but digital cameras often have great difficulty with auto white balance (AWB) — and can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts. Understanding digital white balance can help you avoid these color casts, thereby improving your photos under a wider range of lighting conditions."

Thoughts? I was thinking about purchasing this. What should be the most I offer for it?

502572996_o.jpg

I would pass. You can pick up slabbed low to mid grade MS coins for a bit over melt. Even MS65, MS66, and MS67 examples are readily available and affordable for many collectors. If you do decide to purchase the coin, I would only be willing to pay 88% of melt value, accounting for the PayPal and eBay fees should I (you) decide to flip the coin as bullion later.

There are too many things going against this coin. There is no reverse photo, and the lighting for the existing photo is very poor. The thumb print looks to be pretty good. Maybe you can run it through NCIC to see if there are any hits. Also, some of those flips are known to contain PVC. Maybe that is why there is no reverse photo. 65? I doubt it! I'd pass.

Chris

Personally, I would be willing to take a chance on it at $30 +/-. It looks like a coin that's been improperly stored in a PVC flip, and the opportunity to "rescue" it would be irresistible to me.

This assumes, of course, that personal inspection reveals a decent coin overall.

"White balance (WB) is the process of removing unrealistic color casts, so that objects which appear white in person are rendered white in your photo. Proper camera white balance has to take into account the "color temperature" of a light source, which refers to the relative warmth or coolness of white light. Our eyes are very good at judging what is white under different light sources, but digital cameras often have great difficulty with auto white balance (AWB) — and can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts. Understanding digital white balance can help you avoid these color casts, thereby improving your photos under a wider range of lighting conditions."

To further illustrate What Mark wrote above...I took the Ops originally image and I adjusted the white balance so we can get a true sense of what the coin would look like in hand:

502572996_o.jpg

Based on what I can see I would guestimate the coin is an MS64 with light toning.....in raw form I wouldn't pay more than $40-50 bucks as you can pick up slabbed common dates in 64 holders for $75 bucks all day long. Who knows what the reverse looks like and there is no way to tell if their is PVC on the coin from the images so it would seem the downside outweighs the upside hm

Thanks! I learned something today :)