• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1984 D mint set

22 posts in this topic

The Mint Sets come packaged with two sets of coins, one from the Denver Mint (red border) and the other from Philadelphia (blue border) The mint tokens Marked P&D are included in the 10 coin set. Why you have a package containing two Denver Mint cents appears to be a packaging error. Sensors only look for coins in the individual divided slots and cannot tell the cent from the token, so it was not rejected.

Pretty cool, I'm certain some collectors would pay a premium for this error. Better than getting two tokens in your pack!

Better than getting two tokens in your pack!

Are the tokens made from Penny blanks?

Yes...the "1789" Department of Treasury token that is included in the Mint Sets is stuck on the one cent planchets.

There is ~zero~ collector value to these tokens, I have seen rolls of these on e-Bay...P.T. Barnum would be proud of these sellers.

ERROR PACKAGING. A lot of collectors pay a premium for this kind of error packaging, looks like you have a rarity. I have been trying to look for an error set but have not found one yet hm

The last error set I saw was when someone posted a set with 2 pennies and a mint medal.

ERROR PACKAGING. A lot of collectors pay a premium for this kind of error packaging, looks like you have a rarity. I have been trying to look for an error set but have not found one yet hm

The last error set I saw was when someone posted a set with 2 pennies and a mint medal.

I, on the other hand, have never heard of anyone paying a premium for this relatively common "error".

I, on the other hand, have never heard of anyone paying a premium for this relatively common "error".

Face it physics, this time you are wrong and you can not say otherwise.

You do not see this everyday and this kind of set commands a strong premium.

And yes, it is an error. Either the seller did not know what he was selling or you are making things up.

Is it an established fact that it came from the Mint packaged this way?

Is it an established fact that it is rare?

Is it an established fact that it is better to have 2 tokens than 2 cents?

Has there beeen any research on this packaging error Subject?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Is it an established fact that it came from the Mint packaged this way?

Is it an established fact that it is rare?

Is it an established fact that it is better to have 2 tokens than 2 cents?

Has there beeen any research on this packaging error Subject?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I do not see any tampering with the set, so I will assume it came from the mint. I will assume this is rare based on the time I have been looking for one and the amount that I have seen (they were all not for sale :( ). There has not been much research for this topic (other than it was a mint-made error) probably because of the small amount of available specimens and the small collector base looking for this type of set. From what I have seen, I have never witnessed a set with 2 medals.

The last transaction I have seen (and what got me interested) was between a dealer and a client many years ago. The client agreed to pay 2x the current value for the set.

And I'm still looking... hm

I've been collecting for many years and this question about a mint set with a missing coin and the duplicate of another comes up fairly frequently. They are not common, but they are not extremely rare either. As mentioned they are not a mint error, but a packaging error. They do tend to bring a premium but it is usually a SMALL premium. Typically in the range of a couple of dollars more than the regular price.

And yes, it is an error. Either the seller did not know what he was selling or you are making things up.

Check my phrasing. I purposely worded it in this way (I know, grammar is not your strong suit so I will explain). The use of the personal pronoun "I" indicates the following is based on personal experience. It is a fact that "I" have never heard of anyone paying a premium for this. I used the phrase "relatively common" because, as Conder indicated, this discussion comes up often enough that I have seen it several times. Notice how the last word of my statement is enclosed in quotation marks. This is to indicate a sarcastic tone, meaning I do not personally consider this to be significant, or worthy of a premium. Others may, and may pay a premium for it (which is not precluded in my statement). I only intended to convey that in my personal experience, this has not happened.

And as for your "strong" premium, 2x a $5 set is still only $10. Conder's experience of a couple dollars is still well within the range that these sets normally trade.

I realize that you have a vested interest in arguing with every single jot and tittle in my posts, and you have a strong interest in making me look a fool. Yet again, you are merely wasting our time.

Thank You noow and Conder101.

This was very informative for me.

I was not previously aware of this packaging oddity.

physics- would you consider keeping references like "single...tittle" out of your responses?

It could be interpreted as anti-marriage and using a word like "tittle" could be misinterpreted as a sexual reference by grammar deprived individuals.......

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Check my phrasing. I purposely worded it in this way (I know, grammar is not your strong suit so I will explain). The use of the personal pronoun "I" indicates the following is based on personal experience. It is a fact that "I" have never heard of anyone paying a premium for this. I used the phrase "relatively common" because, as Conder indicated, this discussion comes up often enough that I have seen it several times. Notice how the last word of my statement is enclosed in quotation marks. This is to indicate a sarcastic tone, meaning I do not personally consider this to be significant, or worthy of a premium. Others may, and may pay a premium for it (which is not precluded in my statement). I only intended to convey that in my personal experience, this has not happened.

And as for your "strong" premium, 2x a $5 set is still only $10. Conder's experience of a couple dollars is still well within the range that these sets normally trade.

I realize that you have a vested interest in arguing with every single jot and tittle in my posts, and you have a strong interest in making me look a fool. Yet again, you are merely wasting our time.

I notice how you commonly attempt to degrade me with passive insults. I'm betting you don't know what that is, so I'll explain. It is when you insult somebody indirectly by stating something degrading in a sentence intended for the listener. Like how you said " (I know, grammar is not your strong suit so I will explain) " and following with a bunch of elementary school basics. Physics, you should act more mature than that. This kind of nonsense is child's play and should not happen in the forums.

And back to the sets. If you talking about the "normally trading" range, you are assuming that the customer I saw buying the set (A) Did know the value of the set, and (B) paid a small premium for it. Use logic. I did not say the client paid "just" 2x for the set. He knew the set was an ERROR set, so he paid double for the set. And not just the low end of the spectrum, like you cited to make your argument sound more logical.

So, the bottom line is that the OP has a valuable set of coins that would go for a good bit of money to the right buyer.

And physics, stop PM spamming me.

-Sam

So, the bottom line is that the OP has a valuable set of coins that would go for a good bit of money to the right buyer.

-Sam

Do you have any data to support your claim, an ended E-Bay auction perhaps?

-Sam

Do you have any data to support your claim, an ended E-Bay auction perhaps?

Unfortunatly, no, as there aren't many collectors out for this kind of uncommon set.

Now before physics chimes in and starts hurling insults, I'll said that it will go for good money to the RIGHT buyer. Not many people look for these sets.

if there is a premium for this type of error it would be minimal as it is a packaging process error and not a mint process error (as pointed out by others). While I am sure there are those out there who collect full mint sets in government packaging, the market would be pretty small (no evidence to state exactly how large or small the market maybe), which would result in not a large group of people fighting to aquire this type of an error (which is usually part of why the prices seem higher on some items and not for others).

For myself, while I do find it somewhat interesting, I cant honestly say that I would pay a premium for this type of error as it has little overall interest to me personally.

-Chris#2

if there is a premium for this type of error it would be minimal as it is a packaging process error and not a mint process error (as pointed out by others). While I am sure there are those out there who collect full mint sets in government packaging, the market would be pretty small (no evidence to state exactly how large or small the market maybe), which would result in not a large group of people fighting to aquire this type of an error (which is usually part of why the prices seem higher on some items and not for others).

For myself, while I do find it interesting, I cant honestly say that I would pay a premium for this type of error as it has little overall interst to me personally.

-Chris#2

I think you are right on that one- people that are interested are the ones who find and pay premiums for the set... Like me :)