• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Mint Sets Complete

11 posts in this topic

Cool. Now you need the 64's ;)

What?! The Red Book doesn't identify the 64's as SMS.

It's sort of a joke. There were a very few SMS coins produced dated 1964. They are extremely rare, and extremely expensive. Congrats on finishing your set :hi:

Theres the 1964 spe-.... Well first that is VERY expensive, and also it is not considered a regular mint issued set.

GOOD JOB ON FINISHING THE SET!!!!!!! :whee:

Popcorn people, do you like his new addition?

---->:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

(thumbs u Good job!

There were a very few SMS coins produced dated 1964. They are extremely rare, and extremely expensive.

Theres the 1964 spe-.... Well first that is VERY expensive, and also it is not considered a regular mint issued set.

Interesting!!!

A simple look at any of the breathtaking 1964 SMS coins reveals their special numismatic status. The special finish of 1964 SMS coins is characterized by a nice, smooth, satin-like appearance. The fields are usually well struck, very clean and tend to come without any major nicks or scratches. The edges for most 1964 SMS coins also tend to be square and sharp. The bust and legends are usually highly detailed and sharp on most examples, especially when compared to business strike coins. The surfaces are non-reflective compared to proof coins of the era, yet are not the same finish as regular-issue coins for the same year.

The 1964 SMS coins are extremely scarce, but more are believed to be out there. It is strongly recommended you purchase coins already graded by PCGS since our experts are well aware of the discernable differences in regular issue mint state or proof coins compared to the special 1964 SMS coins. Also remember that our guaranty of authenticity is the best insurance you can have when owning extremely scarce and significant coins.

Congratulations on completing a small piece of numismatic history. I’m old enough to have been a collector when the mint started selling these sets. In fact I bought my first SMS sets from the mint. Collectors were glad to get them, although they were disappointed with the less than Proof quality. The trouble had been that collectors were in the government’s dog house for “hoarding coins” and “being responsible” for the 1964-5 coin shortage.

If bullion prices weren’t so high, I’d encourage you to go back and collect the mint packaged Proof sets from the mid 1950s to 1964. Before silver got to be so expensive, I thought that those coins were neglected and under appreciated. Now the Gray Sheet (weekly dealer wholesale price list) says they are worth at least $25.25 apiece, and that’s based on the melt value. That price will only hold if the price of silver remains high.

Welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting. If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them.

Bill brings up an excellent point - now that you've finished this short set, where are you planning to go next? More modern sets will be cheaper, but less rewarding. Older sets will be far more interesting, but they get very expensive.

If you need any help going forward, just ask!

Bill brings up an excellent point - now that you've finished this short set, where are you planning to go next?

I'm still trying to complete a circulated collection of Lincoln Cents (1909-Date) and Jefferson Nickels (1938-Date). While looking thru change and bank rolls, I am also purchasing uncirculated sets and proof sets from random years based on their asking price.

This is what I currently have:

Uncirculated Sets

1965 SMS

1966 SMS

1967 SMS

1971 (unopened envelope)

Proof Sets