• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first grading results back

9 posts in this topic

This is the result of my first submissions ever for grading.

OW! Dang that hurts, worse than tubing your toe in the dark

Coins for NGC invoice number 2560178

Line Item Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Grade Comments

001 1889 $2.5 NOT GENUINE

002 1878 8TF VAM-18 S$1 HARSHLY CLEANED

003 1878 7TF REV OF 78 S$1 MS 62

004 1878 CC S$1 MS 62

005 1887 TOP-100 VAM-1A DONKEY TAIL S$1 IMPROPERLY CLEANED

006 1887/1--7 O TOP-100 VAM-2 S$1 OBV SCRATCHED

007 1889 S$1 SCRATCHES

008 1896 S$1 IMPROPERLY CLEANED

009 1886 S$1 IMPROPERLY CLEANED

010 1921 MORGAN S$1 MS 63

It looks like you have some terrific material to study before you buy anymore raw coins. I think many of us have been in the same boat as you. Make it a positive learning experience and the cost won't be as much if it saves you from purchasing the same down the road. Good luck

I noticed that you also posted your results on VAMWorld. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen quite a few problem coins and/or ones of considerably lower grade posted over there. The thing you have to keep in mind is that, to some of the VAMmers, condition and gradability is secondary to the variety. There is nothing wrong with that, but judging from your own comment, "OW!", only you can decide for yourself if that approach is acceptable for you. Better luck next time!

Chris

001 1889 $2.5 NOT GENUINE

I would love to buy this from you if you do not need it. It would add to my reference set.

Thanks in advance.

All in all, you did not do that badly! However, several of these coins sound like they would not nearly have enough value to warrant certification.

Were you expecting some substantially high grades?

Dandy,

Rons is right, take these coins and really study them, when I first started my results were alot like yours, I bought alot of cleaned coins, I just didnt know what to look for, but keep at it. I remember when I finally got a MS 65 on a morgan I bought at a local coin show, that I almost past on. And when I recieved a star on a coin I bought off eBay, those times far out way the learning experience of buying problem coins.

Nick

Thanks for the replys, got the coins in today, sent in 10 coins 7 got body bagged.

About the Quarter Eagle, I am getting with the auction compnay about refund they are open to this but want more info than just "NOT GENUINE" from NGC. I dont know if NGC are going to be helpful or not will hope so. Auction house wants to do a gold test but waiting for NGC to answer back, will post what happens

Thanks Agian

Dandy