• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1874 G$1

9 posts in this topic

I usually don't buy coins in PCI holders, but this one looked wholesome enough to me. I'm contemplating a cross (I'm expecting to lose a couple points in the grade, but I'm not concerned about this), and I want your advice. What would you grade this piece?

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

The "real grade" falls in the AU-55 to 58 range. It could make it into an MS-61 or 62 holder if "sliders" are still getting those grades.

You have got some friction in the fields and on Ms. Liberty's face, and it is quite evident in the date area on the reverse. The date is a little weak, which is normal for some of these coins. The missing "LIBERTY" on the headband is also normal, and has long been recognized as a variety or perhaps a group of varieties. Given the number dies used it’s hard to pin down specific varieties of these coins.

BTW the mintage of 1873 and ’74 gold dollars (198,800 for 1874) was high for the period because a fair number of Type I gold dollars (1849 – 1854) were melted to make them. At the time mint officials thought that there was an “evil” or risk connected with having gold dollars of different diameters in circulation at the same time. This led them to withdraw the smaller Type I pieces from circulation as they came into government coiffures.

This is in a PCI holder graded MS64. I knew that it didn't grade that high, but I still like it. Even if it comes back in an AU holder, I still did well for the purchase price. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Thanks everyone. I definitely plan to submit this to NGC. If it comes back in low grade MS, I will probably try to flip the coin, using the profits to purchase a higher grade coin of the same date.

Unless you have a thing for 1874 gold dollars, I'd look for another date. As you can see from this piece the 1874 gold dollars were not particularly well made in general, and it is a “widget” date in the gold dollar series. Some other dates are much scarcer, better struck and don’t cost that much more.

For example the 1889 is common, but oh, a really nice MS-64 can be so pretty … :foryou:

1889GoldDollarO.jpg1889GoldDollarR.jpg

Thanks everyone. I definitely plan to submit this to NGC. If it comes back in low grade MS, I will probably try to flip the coin, using the profits to purchase a higher grade coin of the same date.

Unless you have a thing for 1874 gold dollars, I'd look for another date. As you can see from this piece the 1874 gold dollars were not particularly well made in general, and it is a “widget” date in the gold dollar series. Some other dates are much scarcer, better struck and don’t cost that much more.

For example the 1889 is common, but oh, a really nice MS-64 can be so pretty … :foryou:

1889GoldDollarO.jpg1889GoldDollarR.jpg

Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely take it. It would look lovely beside my NGC MS 64 1888. :)