• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Bid Finally Held Up for the Win posted by Jackson

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

after 2 straight times of being sniped........

At 2 of the most recent big auctions I have gotten painfully sniped. In one of them, there was a gorgeous 1934-D for my mid-date Walker set. The coin had beautiful, distinctive toning and a full strike of the head area of Ms Liberty. For those familiar with the Walker series, you'll know how flat the 34-D head strike is and how prized a nice strike is. Well I had the high bid for a whole month prior to the sale. The night before the sale I even bumped up my bid by another $100 because I was leaving for vacation on the next morning and would not have internet access for the live bidding on-line.

So I checked the auction a few days later, confident that I probably hasd won the coin, only to find that I had gotten sniped by 1 bid increment. There is nothing like losing a coin by one bid increment to really make you anguish over the loss.

In my mind this coin has turned into a "once in a million" chance to fill the slot in my collection with " a unique and stunning dazzler" only to have gone by the wayside because I held back another $100 that I probably could have afforded.

A few weeks later another 34-D showed up in a numeric grade of MS66 and was also distinctive in its rainbow rimmed glory. This time however I was the high internet bidder but lost the live auction to a bid of over $2300 which is well more than I could or would have bid. Losing by $600 does not sting as bad as losing by $25- that's for sure.

So tonight I remebered that the Goldberg auction for a nice upgrade for my short set- a 1941-D MS67 was scheduled. I had entered in a modest internet pre-bid with hopes of sniping it on the live bid ( if necessary). By the time I got home and got online the auction had already passed the lots that I hadf bid on !!

Oh no, not again! However it seems that my recent little run of numismatic luck continues. I had 4 coins with modest bids on them and I actually won 2 of them !! One is a crusty 1912 Barber Half in XF40 for my "One Fine Set" Barber collection which has all coins in Fine to XF range.

The second win was my 1941-D upgrade for my Walker short set. I barely won by bidding between increments with my on-line bid, so it was nice to win an auction by just $11-- it helps alleviate some of that anguish of losing the 34-D. I have to say "some" because that coin will haunt me for a while.

So here's the auction photo of my newest prize. I can't wait to get it in hand with my 20x loupe. It shows some dazzling hints of colors in the recesses and should be quite beguiling to drink in when I've got it in hand and can delight in all of the subtle swirls and highlights........

9340.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

here are the pictures of both coins I won tonight--obverse and reverses...not "break the bank coins but I find them exciting because they have the look that I like...

115234.jpg.3235dfb634d6faa33a3c45fc3aa6b1be.jpg

115235.jpg.379d0df74ced780a2f890d954f3de8ce.jpg

115236.jpg.e6f1891eeebdf4b3203c7f0fbd457fcb.jpg

115237.jpg.d1a4910ef30f90bc9ef84926e60fb7b9.jpg

Jackson

Great pick-ups! I know you are above all a Walker collector, and the coin you won is mighty fine, but for XF that Barber Half has wonderful eye appeal! Very nice!

Gary (thumbs u

Great story and that is one premium quality 1941 D Walker. I REALLY LIKE IT!!

Also, I have YET to see a well struck head on a 1934-D, even at the MS 66 level. If you find one with even a little bit of good head detail......pick it up.

The funny thing is that the rest of the coin is, USUALLY, very well struck up and has good luster. It's sort of an enigmna. A well defined head and lack of surface abrasions are what you should REALLY look for with this issue.

Jackson,

The Walker is beautiful but I am with Gary on the Barber, that patina is fantastic and

would be a fantastic addition to any Barber collection. Great pictures, thanks for

sharing.

Malcolm

thanks e1..I really love the Goldberg auctions and have done pretty well with getting some nice coins at below the FMV lists. I guess I should have kept that secret hunh?