• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940's Mint Sets in Packages- should I put them in holders newbie asks.

76 posts in this topic

OK- I will leave them as is for now. I will go ahead and post the scans tonight so the non-FaceBook crowd

I would like to thank each of you for posting so much great information and you certainly are well informed.

I really don't think the scans do justice- for example the pennies are all very bright and not dark like the scans. And the silver coins look so much lighter in the scans. I have been meaning to get a better scanner for some time as I have a certified el-cheapo I have limped along with for years and much better ones are rather inexpensive now.

I would tend to agree that the sets were not US sets and probably aimed at mint quality sets rather than mint sets per se. Just my initial impression the ones with the rubber stamps,which certainly can be 'homemade', are higher quality as opposed to the typed ones and could have been assembled by different parties. A couple have envelopes labeled with pens and the envelopes are plastic as opposed to the cellophane type.

I am afraid the age is starting to get to the cellophane and a couple of the envelopes have small tears with have left some coloration on the effected coins.

Thanks for taking such and interest in this little project of mine- there are so many coins in all of this it drives me nuts- I found another little box this a.m. nothing earth shattering I'm sure but you start looking at says these little Candian silver coins I can hardly read them. There was a neat Morgan Dollar in the box but I don't know the grading or the dates yet. As I go through all of these I will continue to post and see what I can learn as long as the board will have me. The ones I really like is this little set of California Gold Fractionals I think they are called- great history.

There's just no point for me to hang on to this stuff any longer and I have to heirs and I'm almost 60 and I'm the young one left in even the shirt tail relatives. It all takes so much time though. I'll save a few I remember collecting with my father and aunt and grandparents, brother, etc. Ouf of all I am the only one left. I picked this set to start with because I was think of putting them in holders is all, Like I said the high end grading is a tough issue for me and it seems some of these have potential to be nice ones. And the coins are just one thing I have to deal with.

Later my friends.

The ones I really like is this little set of California Gold Fractionals I think they are called- great history.

Question? Do these little California Gold Fractionals have a Bear on the reverse?

The ones I really like is this little set of California Gold Fractionals I think they are called- great history.

Question? Do these little California Gold Fractionals have a Bear on the reverse?

If they have a bear, we might as well all hang ourselves lol

A bear must be good--- I can only have 3 of them here- No bears on these- sorry- there are two 7/16" round with Indian Head "California Gold" 1855 & 1855 and one 1/2" octangle looks the same head and "California Gold" 1859- I supposed I can't touch these either. Don't get me off task. The rest of them are locked up and I can't really even think about getting in there for a couple of weeks at least.

A bear must be good--- I can only have 3 of them here- No bears on these- sorry

No on the "california gold fractionals" a bear is bad. None of the genuine fractionals have a bear on them. All of the genuine pieces have a denomination expressed on them in some fashion with either 1/4, 1/2, 1, or One, and either Dollar, Doll, or even just a D.

Say I didn't mean to get off on a tangent on these but these 3 here have no denomination on them- is that bad? All they say is "California Gold" with the dates. I guess I should try and get the others and get them all scanned. These three I think came out of a different collection originally than the others- Is it bad to touch them?

A bear must be good--- I can only have 3 of them here- No bears on these- sorry

No on the "california gold fractionals" a bear is bad. None of the genuine fractionals have a bear on them. All of the genuine pieces have a denomination expressed on them in some fashion with either 1/4, 1/2, 1, or One, and either Dollar, Doll, or even just a D.

Many replicas of the gold fractionals have a bear on the reverse. Bear = FAKE

OK- I looked through some more stuff I had here and found a couple of more- These are both 1/2" Round- Both have Indian Heads- one, like the others says just "California Gold" no denomination with date of 1854. The other I have to say has a dreaded bear- It's different than the others- It has a date of 1857 and says "California Gold 1/2" above a little bear- it is in a jewelry mount- I can see where that might be a copy/fantasy all right. Maybe they are all copies for all I know- I will see if I can find the others and make a separate post.

I have been looking at these "fractionals" and I think there is a good chance they are not genuine. There is a similar one with the bear shown on a web site and it seems that it may be the only genuine one actually. I'm sorry I don't have more time for this today but I will get back to this later.

Hello people- say I know that I said I was going to post all of the scans but I just don't like them so I went out and bought a new scanner and I will re-scan all of them plus the other sets some time and post them all in a new or other thread- Here is the link to all of them an Photo Bucket if you want to see them- Thanks again for all of the info.

PS: I have pretty much decided that the four california gold fractionals are fakes- there is one I am hoping may prove to be real. it is in a jewelry mount of course. I'll get that up some place else.

I sure learn a lot from you guys. I can see why coins are popular- I have a collecting OCD and so I have to watch it as I need to start selling noy buying! Easy bug to catch!

Hello- I probably should let this thread go away but if anyone is still interested;

A) I got a new scanner and I get much better pictures- so I will be making some new scans- I have made some of some other coins I will be posting soon.

B) I had those California fractionals checked and the ones with out a bear are all fakes. Darn. The one with the bear is gold but haven't had time to track down yet to see if genuine.

Best, JS

back to your first question - should you put into holders?

the coins you have shown, do not show any damage/problems from packaging

they appear to be date/minmark sets put together by a dealer or collector

If you plan on selling them, a new holder will not increase their value by the holder cost

if you plan on keeping/collecting them -

there are a few varieties possible as well as could be some conditional rarities in the group

you may want to get some sort of album for viewing/keeping