• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newfoundland 1880 50c - Peeling Planchet - Playing with Dino-Lite

12 posts in this topic

Hi All, With this coins I've completed my Newfoundland 50¢ date run. Not all are slabbed yet, and actually not all are really worthy of submission, but my set is complete and I am a happy camper.

This last coin that completes my Newfy Halves set is an 1880 50¢ with a mintage of 24,000. It took me a while to find one that was in half way decent shape. Anyone who collects Newfoundland coins knows that the entire series is tough to find in higher grades and with the low mintage's of some dates, some are just simply tough to find in any grade, such as this one. That aside this coin has some very interesting issues that I thought I would share with the group and ask for your comments / thoughts.

It appear to me that this coin has peeling planchet issues. A while back I bought one of those Dino-Lite deals and for the most part is not very useful EXCEPT in this very situation. My eyes are not what they used to be and I wanted to really see if this was damage or did it come from the mint this way. I took a number of photos of both the obverse and reverse. What are YOUR thoughts on this? Is this peeling planchet or is this some type of damage.

The more important question is "HOW WILL THIS FAIR AT NGC?" Will a peeling planchet cause this coin to get a details grade?

Enjoy these kind of cool pictures I took.....

Have a great day

Jim

115158.jpg.42b31b00eede8bee8fe7051b678ca412.jpg

115159.jpg.21cb1ee8322b20305943abce88018042.jpg

115160.jpg.1e49ff8e273f629f1925d81876a33ab0.jpg

115161.jpg.9cd0e3d454dde13f57ccbb4408a6cbd4.jpg

115162.jpg.299383c102797af1422c3e24f6c8c274.jpg

Personally to me a lamination would keep a MS coin out of the top MS levels (68, 69, 70) but other than that I find them a normal part of the coins production and I do not down grade for them. What NGC will think is anyone's guess. Sometimes they are ignored and somethimes if they a very noticible they result in a details grade (former bodybagging) for "planchet flaw".

I've never understood why a planchet flaw should doom a coin to a net grade. I guess the TPGs could call them a "mint error", but saying an AU50 coin with a planchet flaw is only "AU details" seems a shame.

I've never understood why a planchet flaw should doom a coin to a net grade. I guess the TPGs could call them a "mint error", but saying an AU50 coin with a planchet flaw is only "AU details" seems a shame.

Nevertheless, that is NGC's policy. Unless it is a major lamination, they will details grade it.

Just curious is "lamination" the proper term to describe this defect? I could see calling a CLAD coin having a lamination error if the layers of material are at issue. So is this still called a lamination problem or defect if the coin is .925 silver and made from a solid piece of silver material? The close photos I posted make it appear to me that at some point while the silver was being rolled into a planchet that there might have been an air bubble or some over problem with the mixture of silver to cause the plancet to NOT be uniform.

I find these types of issues interesting, I have a U.S. silver alloy nickel 1945-P that has the same looking problem.

Have a great day

Jim

Yes it is the proper term. Lamination refers to layering and the cause of the flaw in a "solid" material such as sterling silver is either foreign matter or gas bubbles trapped in the ingot during melting and pouring. During the rolling of the ingot into strip the bubbles or foreign material is crushed and/or flattened and it spread out inside the ingot creating an area where the top layer is separated from the lower layers by the bubble or other "stuff". If the bubble breaks though to the surface it may show as a crack in the surface leading to a lower layer as is seen above ND, Or a layer may fall away exposing the lower layer, and/or even showing more lower layer and in the area of the field before Victoria's chin (lower layer exposed) and on her cheek (overhang with lower layer below it.). In any case it is a flaking exposure of "layers". Lamination fits fine. A clad coin can show a lamination in the surface layer but a separation between the layers in this case would more correctly be termed improperly bonded clad layer..