• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does NGC recognize double die 1984 Olympic dollars?

4 posts in this topic

I just found this in a recent purchase - it's the 1984D dollar - very noticeable doubling on the "Los Angeles" and the date. There is also some doubling on LIBERTY. The "P" dollar has similar doubling, but not as dramatic. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank Olympic5.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

With modern coins, NGC recognizes only those varieties listed in either the Cherrypicker's Guide or the Red Book. This variety currently is not listed in either, though I believe it would make a good Cherrypicker listing.

A few years ago, I saw an article about this in Coin World. It was listed as a doubled die. A little while later, a retraction article was printed saying it is just machine doubling. If it is just machine doubling, that might be why it's not listed in Cherry Picker's, but that looks pretty nice for machine doubling to me!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What I see in the photos supplied appears to be die doubling, though the images are a bit shaky.