• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To crack out or not? posted by Just coins

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If you crack out a coin, will it grade higher at another grading company!?

This is what I am thinking....

Over the last 15 years I have been buying my pennies in slabs and trying to collect the best coins, regardless of the grade stated on the label for my Lincoln Cent Collection.

So looking at some of my extra's, I found I have 6 2001-D PCGS MS-68 cents. So I think if I crack out one of the better ones, will NGC give it a MS-69?

Tell me what you think?

I think I have a better than average chance to get a grade up. When I compare my NGC slabs against the PCGS coins, I feel the PCGS coins are slightly better. When I see the sales of PCGS vs NGC coins online, I see PCGS sell for more.

So does this mean that NGC is not as tuff on grading?

I will up-date you on my experiment and share with everyone.

Just coins

See more journals by Just coins

I have also noticed that many times a PCGS graded coin will be listed for a higher price than an NGC coin of the same grade. See sites like Modern Coin Mart or APMEX for examples of this. One way to look at this is to see the population graded of this coin by both services, then compare the sale prices. I have found out that PCGS has graded less coins than NGC in many cases. This would be one reason some sell the coin at a higher price. It could also mean they grade tougher or more people are using NGC now than PCGS, thus giving PCGS a lower population. I would crack it out if it looks good to you and send it in.

I won't get into the whole PCGS vs NGC grading standards thing..but I will say good luck to you..if the potential loss of value is worth the risk of a potential big leap up ( plus the grading costs and shipping both ways)..then go for it..hope you get your 69 or 70 even..!!

I agree with Jackson that the debate over NGC and PCGS grading standards is pointless. My take is that an MS 68 is technically a 67.5 to 68.4 and that there are "10 sub grades" within the same standard, hence the reason that both grading companies have went to + grade designations and the reason that some 68's look better than others.

If your going to do it - grade them yourself and pick out the 2 very best and give it a shot. Sending all 10 won't increase your odds and will just cost you more $$. Just one amateur grading enthusiast's opinion.

Taking a chance there, what is the value differential should you get the upgrade?

Do a cost benefit analysis and like TD Henson suggests, just send the best two of the six.

if you truely think that the coins would have a chance at the upgrade, why not send them in as a cross over? You'll have a little security by knowing that if they feel it would not upgrade you wont lose the PCGS MS 68 grade for a possible NGC MS 67 or whatever grade NGC finallizes it at.

Just a thought,

Chris