• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915-d Wheat, What is wrong with it?

8 posts in this topic

I bought this penny a few days ago and think this penny has been altered.

it looks polished and look to have chemical burns on the reverse side under the

wheat grain on the bottom right side in the field area. Can anyone share their expert advice? I sure would appreciate it. I have a bad feeling it will not make the grade. 2.jpg[/img] 1.jpg[/img]

Yes, someone tried to clean it and did a very poor job. As such the coin cannot be graded in the usual sense. If it were a better date, like a 1914-D, it might be worth sending in for a slab, but it would come back in a "genuine" (PCGS) or net graded holder (NGC),

It's a shame someone messth with it, but it looks like the basic grade was EF before they tried to make it look like a Mint State piece.

Yes, someone tried to clean it and did a very poor job. As such the coin cannot be graded in the usual sense. If it were a better date, like a 1914-D, it might be worth sending in for a slab, but it would come back in a "genuine" (PCGS) or net graded holder (NGC),

It's a shame someone messth with it, but it looks like the basic grade was EF before they tried to make it look like a Mint State piece.

I was thinking VF30 - VF35 before the damage; too much wear on the cheekbone.

NGC graded this 1909-S-VDB EF-40. If you can see though the shine from the cleaning and the white balance issues with the photo, I think you will see similar detail on that 1915-D cent.

1909SVDBOjpg-1.jpg1909SVDBRjpg-1.jpg

Similar, but I still think that your coin has less wear on the cheekbone and hair. The white balance and cleaning could be a potential factor in my original viewing.

EDITED TO ADD: When originally viewing the photos, I was using my cheap back-up laptop. Using my other machine, I am able to see more detail in the coin. Apparently the monitor settings and the white balance in the photo made the head look somewhat flatter than it appears now. I can see why you say EF (prior to the damage).

NGC graded this 1909-S-VDB EF-40. If you can see though the shine from the cleaning and the white balance issues with the photo, I think you will see similar detail on that 1915-D cent.

1909SVDBOjpg-1.jpg1909SVDBRjpg-1.jpg

:popcorn: