• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

im stuck at a stand still posted by cemonice

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Looking for a new road to ride down

I have come to a point where I don't know which direction I want to take in this hobby.

I try to focus my attention on one set at a time and now that I can't go any further at this point I need to find a new direction.

basically I started with 4 sets. The Wheat pennies, Indian Heads, Washington quarters and Morgan, Philly date set. I have the wheats fully completed, all except the 55 DD, which I have no intentions on buying now. My Indian heads are full except the 1877. Quarters are done and now the Morgans are done except the 1894, which will come later, and the 1895, which I will never own.

Where do I go next? SHOULD I work on upgrading lower grade coins that I already have?

Does anyone have any suggestions on their favorites? What are some fun, affordable sets to hunt for? By affordable I mean sets that don't have that coin that is way out of reach for the common collector who is not a millionaire!

Thanks for listening...

See more journals by cemonice

I went to take a peek also..and only a couple wheaties???

Anyways, I enjoy SAEs and modern commemoratives. Both have a large number of coins to gather and enjoy and at reasonable prices.

Jeffrey

I do believe this collector is talking about his raw collection and I've been wondering when they were going to delve into the world of certified coins? You can start a nice set cheaply if you set a budget and be patient. I have managed to get top pop coins for sometimes 30% of FMV, and others I've set auction records.

When I was really young I thought my raw collection would amount to something someday and I had the best of intentions yet today my raw collection is maybe valued at $1000 and I spent much more than that over the years. I currently have a half cleaned mostly corroded raw collection that has no hope of ever increasing in value, yet my certified collection has grown in value every year. Plus none of those coins are subject to further damage as is my raw collection even if some are in really expensive Intercept Shield albums. GO NGC!

Walking Liberty half dollars would be one series to consider. It's one of the most beautiful designs in the history of American coins, and all dates can be found in circulated condition as well as NGC or PCGS certified. I assembled my circulated set mostly from "junk silver" boxes at shows and dealer's stores (found a 1921-D and a 1919-P in a "junk silver" box priced at $3.00 each back when silver was cheap). With the price of silver as high as it now is, many dates can be found in AU condition at prices barely above melt value. Most later dates can be found in NGC or PCGS MS64 without breaking the bank. There are a few scarce coins but no "millionaire" rarities, unless you're looking for MS coins in the early dates or MS-67's in the later dates.

P.S.

I do enjoy collecting raw coins. For the most part I am not into this for money, I mainly enoy it and it is nice to think my great grandchildren MAY enjoy something from the past. If it doesn't work out that way, then so be it. But i really just enjoy the history behind coins and i like the art that the coin displays.

Sure i would like to be able to compete with all of you guys on your sets, but thats not what my focus is here.

Thanks for all of your guys words! i take it all into consideration

How about some short sets?

1941-1945 Mercurys

1941-1947 Wlking Liberty Halves

Wartime Silver Nickels

Those are all pretty easy to complete but are all attractive and can be placed in Capital Holders for protection if you don't want slabbed versions.

I agree.. a short set of Walkers would be perfect for a number of reasons...

1. you like the history so the 1941-1947 years were pretty significant historically.

2. if you also collect for the art of the designs, well it doesn't get much b etter than walkers..,

3.a short set can give you an inexpensive small taste to see if you like the serioes before you start investing more money.

4.whitman, dansco and littleton all make folders with just the short set years so you get the satisfaction of filling the album without feeling as if the set is incomplete.

5. as cbc stated..with the current cost/price of silver, you can assemble an almost entire AU set for around the melt value of each coin or even BU's in raw for most dates for under $50......

I actually have an album set, a low-grade certified set and a top-10 registry set..take a look and maybe you'll get hooked,,,,

Full step War nickels. The 1945-S is a little more expensive but not too much, and the 1943/2 is popular - but watch out for bidding wars!