• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent huge Score at Local Military Credit Union.. UPDATED..

147 posts in this topic

Wow. It is simply amazing the Judgement that many have against me and it is totally discusting.

I didn't give anyone the whole story for many reasons on my recent score because frankly I knew down deep inside if I worded my poor grammar in anyway there would still be doubters out there that continue to seek self atonement for something that has went wrong in the lives, now it's time to seek out others.

I am not happy with the hate that continues on these boards no matter if now it's here or ATS.

That evening at my wifes local credit union in question, a young man in a Aviators Flight Overalls or Flight suit, sorry for calling them scrubs, this guy was aggravated and peed off that his coins were not going through the coin counter. He kept glancing over at the manager I was dealing with or anyone that would help him with his problem.

I took the time to see if I could help this guy out because he was the military, I have all the respect for our hero's and as many know my Grand Father, my Father served with honor, and my grand dad died at War in Pearl Harbour with honor. Furthermore, next month my son,in his final year of High School with be enlisting into the military. And these are the facts. Not written to slow down the now Military guys that took unfair shots at me.

After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals.

My wife proceeded to the ATM and was getting upset at me because she doesn't understand coins, but withdrew $600 the ATM's limit and by God striking me dead now or soon, I offered this guy $600 and he wanted his price of $340 something and told me that was what he counted and hope "I" will trust him. I paid him, he gave me 2 small blue nylon bags and said have fun and left. I looked at my wife and son and said I hope I didn't mess up, but was happy to find some Kennedy's or a few other coins I saw.

I am really, really discusted that while at war, our economy is still in the tank, I just spent the last 48hrs in two counties offering help from the recent Cat1 Hurricane, that members or just plain ole coin collectors can "JUDGE" me once again for a post that wasn't quite vivid enough in proper form for the few that continue nonsense.

Some forget that this Aviator was very educated, had his agenda that evening at closing what he wanted, didn't want to listen to anything I offered him and maybe many of you should look in the mirror and don't blame the messenger in the case.

It doesn't matter if you want to believe this addition to the story, but it is my last.

I want to thank all of the fine people I have met and continue to buy and sell Precious Metals with.. As many of us sit at shows you have my number and email and I will forward my newer email to the trusted ones for future deals.

I "LEFT" the other coin zoo ATS and do respect the clan per-se, but again met many nice people. I will shut down my login name here tonight it's tiring to read such untrue statements towards me and the Hate that continues to flow through this hobby these boards and world. Also, to all that lost their $1 for the one member that we chat about, save you money, I knew he would respond and don't need to be "Greedy" for telling many the truth once again that he has no life and I will pray very hard for the people close to him for salvation.

God Bless everyone, Judgement day is near and those whom Mock God's children with be dealt with very soon. Continued Hate on man for personal gain will always be frown on. George..

From your first post to this thread:

"... I am still shocked that a educated Aviator didn't understand the value of these coins..."

And now from your above post to this thread (with my having placed some of your text in bold):

"After having a nice discussion with this Pilot, he DIDN'T care for the coins he was cashing in. He knew what he had, I felt by talking to him, he needed to cash in his Silver because his fear of his deployment they wouldn't be he when or if he came back.. He has heard of the fly by night companies at Hotels that give money for Silver and Gold and didn't like what he heard, so he wanted face value Fee free for his coins. Simple, end of story.. Again, he assured me he knew price of metals."

Care to go for best two out of three, by providing another version of the story?

To me, and uneducated (in coins) person, can still know the price of metals, not care for the coins you're cashing in, and still not understand the value of the coins.

Example:

Yes, I know gold and silver are up ( I see it on the TV every day). I have coins I don't want so I am cashing them in and I don't understand how a $1 coin can be worth $300.

So, he "knew what he had" and he "knew price of metals", and, according to the OP, was offered $600 for the coins, but, according to you, somehow, he still didn't understand their value and wanted $340, instead.

I guess almost anything is possible. But that makes no sense. And to me, the combined version of the OP's story is not credible.

It makes "no sense" to you Mark but obviously and for whatever reason, it made sense to the fellow selling the coins who, if you recall, was turning them into a coin counter for face value in the first place. Why on earth would someone thats turning coins in a face value suddenly want MORE money from someone offering to help? I mean, the fellow wasn't getting them to go into the machine and was apparently angry or frustrated about it so someone walks up and offers to buy (or help) so the fellow now wants MORE money?

-------------------------------

"Say, can I help you?"

"Danged Machine just isn't accepting this change and I gotta be somewhere in 30 minutes!"

"What's the hurry?"

"I'm getting redeployed tomorrow and instead of leaving this laying around I wanted to cash it in. You know, just in case."

"Have you got any Half Dollars in there?"

"Yes, and this STUPID machine isn't TAKING them!"

"No, this machine doesn't accept Half Dollars. Only quarters." "Got any silver Half Dollars in there?"

"Yes I do but I just want to get rid of this stuff for blah blah blah reasons"

"Well, how much have you got in there?"

"I counted it out last night at about $340-$350."

"Well, how about if I give ya $600 for it, sight unseen?"

"Nah, I couldn't do that. I mean, I don't really know how much this stuff is worth or even how much silver is really in here and I'd feel bad about taking your money since I was just going to cash them in anyway. Truth be told, I just don't have the time to stand in line while the cashier counts them all out which is why I thought I could use this STUPID machine! There's half's and quarters and nickels, dimes, pennies and even some silver dollars."

"Silver Dollars?" "Really"

"Yeah, there's IKE's and some of those old silver dollars......."

"Well, those can be worth a lot more than $1 each!" "Why don;t you take them to a coin shop?"

"I would but, unfortunately I waited until the last minute andI just don't have the time."

"Well, I hate to but if thats what you want to do, it sounds great with me."

----------------------------------------------

It makes no sense to you because you, and others, simply do not want it to make sense. Folks just refuse to believe that some folks simply DO NOT CARE and only zero in on the fact that they've got "x amount" in face value and they want it now.

Others folks choose to zero in on the unbelievability of these stories (unless of course it was 10 rolls of 1964 Kennedy's purchased at the bank for face value) and begin to pick the stories apart one word at a time.

At least, thats what it looks like to me.

It makes no sense to me, because, in the end, your long narrative boils down to this:

The seller (who either knew what he had, or didn't, depending on how you interpret and what you believe about the various versions of the OP's story) having planned on getting about $340 for his coins, was offered $600 and supposedly turned it down. He didn't "suddenly want more money" - he was supposedly offered more money. It (still) makes no sense to me that he would turn it down. And, despite what you say, it's not because I don't want it to make sense.

It makes no sense to me, because, in the end, your long narrative boils down to this:

The seller (who either knew what he had, or didn't, depending on how you interpret and what you believe about the various versions of the OP's story) having planned on getting about $340 for his coins, was offered $600 and supposedly turned it down. He didn't "suddenly want more money" - he was supposedly offered more money. It (still) makes no sense to me that he would turn it down. And, despite what you say, it's not because I don't want it to make sense.

Right.

Oh, the moral certainty that comes from trading in a very thinly margined market.

:cloud9:

We have this argument in comics all the time, usually in the form of "a little old lady is selling her husband's comic collection, and she knows nothing about their value."

The answer is fairly simple and straightforward: if someone selling asks my advice about how much the collection is worth, I am honor bound to explain the situation truthfully, meaning that this is what they have sold for in the recent past, and this is what my offer would be in light of that.

But if they are offering them for sale...say, at a yard sale, or flea market, or even walk into my store, if I had one, and they had a price, without me leading them, and it was substantially low enough to be a smokin' deal, I am under no ethical obligation to "talk them up", or offer them a "fair" price. After all, what is "fair"? What if the market for that particular item has crashed (as happens all the time in collectibles that don't have an underlying precious metals basis)? What if the market consisted of only 5-6 people, all of whom now have what they want?

There is substantial risk in buying ANY collectible for resale. Now, if I know it's what *I* would consider a smokin' deal (and I've burned myself thinking that), then it would be tacky to try and talk them down even further (unless they were expecting some token counter.)

But the bottom line is this: my knowledge has value. It was acquired by careful study over decades. If I know an item is worth much more than is being offered, that is the BENEFIT of my knowledge. After all, if the seller didn't take the time to find out his stuff was worth more, and it is easier than EVER to find that out, then why should they get the benefit of the knowledge that *I* have spent the time and effort to acquire? With Google, it's just a few clicks away!

I recently bought an 1889-CC Morgan in Good from a dealer. It was tossed in their melt box. I paid $30 for it. Should I have informed the dealer that they had thrown in a $200-$300 coin in their melt box? Of course not. The fact that I was at a dealer, who knows better, doesn't change that fact. I knew what I was looking at, and I paid the asking price.

No harm. No foul.

Now, whether or not this story is true or partly true, or completely false doesn't matter. Frankly, I called Yaha when he first came here. And he should beware of calling down judgement from God, for he is going to face the same judgement.

But the greater issue of "what's a fair offer" isn't as clear as some wish to make it.

I'm not sure what the point of posting the original story was either. After 10 pages of comments here, and the same conversation going on ATS, I'm beginning to fall off of the fence and land on the "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here." :blahblah:

Well... not exactly everyone.

To be honest, as stated in my first post, I didn't get excited by "the story" either way :) .

I'm not sure what the point of posting the original story was either. After 10 pages of comments here, and the same conversation going on ATS, I'm beginning to fall off of the fence and land on the "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here." :blahblah:

To be honest, as stated in my first post, I didn't get excited by "the story" either way :) .

James, the quote was "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here".

And you're never really "here", anyway, are you? :D

;)

James, the quote was "this post did exactly what yaha wanted it to do -- get a rise out of everyone here".

;)

Now, if the story had been about a man who bought two cases of Doritos for $5, James would have been very upset.

Chris

Whatever anyone thinks of the OP's actions, as I mentioned earlier, I think our reactions might have been very different, had he not gloated about his purchase. Especially under the circumstances as relayed to us.

Everybody Gloats Mark.

When I score big, be it silver or some obscure variety, I gloat in my post about it.

Folks like to feel good about their finds which is only human nature

That is far from fact. I think most don't gloat. Also, not a fact but just an opinion. MJ

Is this what really happened or are you going to change your story again? (tsk)

Seriously, when I was a kid I used to do the same thing. Changing stories to make yourself seem better. That's child's play. I'm sorry, but I can't trust a story if it's not true.

Whatever anyone thinks of the OP's actions, as I mentioned earlier, I think our reactions might have been very different, had he not gloated about his purchase. Especially under the circumstances as relayed to us.

Everybody Gloats Mark.

When I score big, be it silver or some obscure variety, I gloat in my post about it.

That is far from fact. I think most don't gloat. Also, not a fact but just an opinion. MJ

I don't think everyone gloats, either. And even those who do so, don't necessarily do it publicly, or when their good fortune was at the expense of another person with whom they transacted business.

Some people brag publicly about their rips, while keeping silent about their bad buys. Others are quiet about their good deals, but are not shy about sharing their boneheaded purchases.

Everybody Gloats Mark.

I don't think everyone gloats, either. And even those who do so, don't necessarily do it publicly, or when their good fortune was at the expense of another person with whom they transacted business.

Some people brag publicly about their rips, while keeping silent about their bad buys. Others are quiet about their good deals, but are not shy about sharing their boneheaded purchases.

Evidently the definition for "gloat" also includes "with malicious intent" but then, I never though George's post was intended to be a "gloat with malicious intent" as much as a gloat over his good fortune of being in the right place at the right time.

"Gloating is defined by a feeling of great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction, while bragging when someone attempts to bring themselves up socially because of a recent success."

Everybody Gloats Mark.

Evidently the definition for "gloat" also includes "with malicious intent" but then, I never though George's post was intended to be a "gloat with malicious intent" as much as a gloat over his good fortune of being in the right place at the right time.

"Gloating is defined by a feeling of great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction, while bragging when someone attempts to bring themselves up socially because of a recent success."

Gloating doesn't necessarily include malicious intent. And the lack of such intent doesn't preclude the gloating from seeming offensive or obnoxious to some.

Doggone, I knew there was a catch :tonofbricks: .

So you are saying this guy knew he had $10k in coins and didn't want it, he only wanted the $350? Either you think he was retarded, or you think we are retarded for believing that.

I would say I'll miss you, but.... I don't like to lie.

Jason, you would think someone of your education level would know better than to use the word "retarded" in a written forum. hm

From Mirriam-Websters: Definition of RETARDED: slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

I couldn't give a rip about Political Correctness, and I'm not going to let you or anyone else change the meaning of words or hijack them for their agenda.

Okay I gotta change tactics when I start a thread. I have Conder and HT threads going for months, and it i nothing compared to when someone posts an utterly fabricated pile of BS. It gets you guys going.

Okay so my next thread is a story about how I paid $20 for an 1854-S double eagle from a grandma before she cashed in at the teller........ lol

So you are saying this guy knew he had $10k in coins and didn't want it, he only wanted the $350? Either you think he was retarded, or you think we are retarded for believing that.

Jason, you would think someone of your education level would know better than to use the word "retarded" in a written forum. hm

From Mirriam-Websters: Definition of RETARDED: slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

I couldn't give a rip about Political Correctness, and I'm not going to let you or anyone else change the meaning of words or hijack them for their agenda.

I don't have an agenda. Where I live, no educated person uses that term in speech or written form. But, maybe that is a regional issue? My apologies for being the "language police". By the way, it's spelled Merriam. ;)

I don't have an agenda. Where I live, no educated person uses that term in speech or written form. But, maybe that is a regional issue? My apologies for being the "language police". By the way, it's spelled Merriam. ;)

Instead of retarded, don't people in Minnesota use "hoser" ? :)

I thought it was Viking. :acclaim:

No, we usually just say "Re-publican". lol

No, we usually just say "Re-publican". lol

Haha, ok, I'm a Southern , and even I can accept that was funny.