• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1877 Twenty Cent piece … Original but …

11 posts in this topic

Here is an 1877 Twenty Cent piece. For those who are not familiar with the series, this is one of the two “Proof only” issues that are in the twenty cent piece set. Government officials realized early on that the Twenty Cent piece had failed, but it took Congress a couple of years before they wiped the denomination off the books. In the mean time the mint produced a small number of Proof coins in 1877 and ’78 for collectors

Estimates vary as to how many of these coins were issued. The Red Book reports a mintage of 350 pieces, but the number extant could be higher than that. It is known that more than 350 were minted, but not all of them were sold and some were melted. “Coin Facts” claims the number of pieces is closer to 500. At any rate this is a scarce coin, and probably the scarcest of the “collectable” Twenty Cent pieces. Only the rare 1876-CC (about 20 known) and the enigmatic 1875-S Proof or presentation strike coins are rarer.

This piece has totally original surfaces; the Proof mirrors are strong; and there are very few hairlines. The coin has mostly blue toning with Proof surface shining through. Unfortunately my photos do not reflect that.

The only negative is that the coin has a spot at 10 o’clock on the obverse. It is a distraction and because of that I was able to buy this piece at a decent discount below Gray Sheet Proof 64 bid. Still it surprises me that no one in the past 100 + years has not fooled with this piece to try to make it look better. Clearly this looks like the type coin that someone would have tried to dip to see what would happen to it. My opinion is that it would look worse because the toning is on the heavy side, but it is no excessively heavy.

At any rate here is an original coin with a spot of natural origins. It illustrates the point that original is not always gorgeous although I don’t find this coin exactly ugly.

1877TwentyCentsO.jpg1877TwentyCentsR.jpg

(thumbs u

Superb coin Bill! Despite the small spot, the detail in the stars, the eagle's feathers, and particularly talons are phenomenal. I can dream of owning one, but I can just visit your pics when I'd like.

...the Proof mirrors are strong...Unfortunately my photos do not reflect that.

Quite punny!

I would like to own a 20 center, but that spot would drive me crazy......

You also say that it is a distraction. Despite buying on the cheap, why did you purchase it Bill?

You also say that it is a distraction. Despite buying on the cheap, why did you purchase it Bill?

As a follow-up, is this a possible coin for NCS?

As a follow-up, is this a possible coin for NCS?

No, I much prefer the coin to be toally original. If NCS worked on it, it would either of a spot of a different sort, or maybe they would make it into a white coin.

1. Original coin, not dipped

2. Some other original pieces have mottled toning and "carbon spots." Some of these mottled pieces are such that you can barely see the design of the coin.

3. Aside from the spot the Proof mirrors are strong under the toning.

4. Cheap enough that I could probably come out even in a trade.

The reverse is fantastic, but that spot would drive me crazy. Its the first thing I noticed, even before I read your description. I would rather spend more and have a coin with no spot, but that's just my opinion.

I could live with the spot, and I can understand why you bought it since the price was right. It may not be a grade rarity, but it is truly scarce in absolute terms.

I bid on a PR55 '77 years ago under the theory that a circulated proof could count in my circulated double dime set. I wasn't high bidder, so maybe it was sour grapes that made me rethink my position. Now I figure a PR55 probably didn't really circulate but was simply mishandled over the years.