• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conder Question -- 1791 Yorkshire D&H 17

3 posts in this topic

I have posted this token before, but I was perusing my collection again today. I noticed on the obverse of the token, just to the right of the horses head and below the letter "S", a fleck of something. At first, I thought it was on the holder. Then I got out my loupe and looked closer. It's actually a small "blob" of metal.

I couldn't find reference to this marker anywhere in D&H, and other pictures I could find of this token didn't have this anomaly. But, I'm just wondering....anyone have an opinion on whether this is just a small broken die area? The mechanics of how just a little blob of metal appears? Or some pics of your own of the D&H 17 for comparison?

The reverse has a great die crack stretching from the A in "HALFPENNY" all the way down through the first crown. I think this crack is probably common.

See pictures below:

114993.jpg.c4b30148c6ee09ff48683161be62268b.jpg

114994.jpg.17295cf364815f532da31947edc8e095.jpg

Looks to me like you have a rusted die - look at the horses hide beneath the mane - see the roughness? So that hunk a metal may be a die chip as the die was rusting and getting old. Just a guess.......

It appears to be a die chip, I think I can see and earlier state of it in the D&H book and on the Dr Sriro CD photos. If I can remember I'll try to take a look at mine tonight. and see what I have.