• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW BUFF COMMENTS WELCOME

35 posts in this topic

Hi this is another new coin I am starting to collect.

I want to take my time, buy what I can afford, but still get the nicest coin I can

Any comments and help would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan

498846034_o.jpg

498846015_o.jpg

It depends, partly, upon what you paid for it. My guess is that you could probably get a nice uncirculated example, instead, for not a whole lot more money.

Personally, I like the looks of it and actually wish it was in my album. Nice looking coin and I would imagine you probably got a nice deal on it.

-Chris#2

If you are planing on putting this coin in an album, I personally feel that the price you paid wasnt too out of line considering the overall condition of the details. It's not something that I would consider worthy of submitting since it does look to have been diped heavily, just not enough of a "shine" to it for that venue, but perfect for sitting in an album.

The market value for this coin in AU-55 is about 10 bucks- so your not out much in terms of collector value.... good thing it wasn't more expensive! 50% over FMV is a considerable, but I do see examples on Ebay selling for $18-$20... So I think overall you made a good first time deal.

Thank you so much everyone.

I gave myself a limit of $15.00 on this coin and no more.

I do feel much better knowing I did OK on the price.

It is going into an album, I just don't know enough to buy

a very expensive one I have given myself a budget for this album

and plan on staying with it.

Thanks again

Alan

If you are planing on putting this coin in an album, I personally feel that the price you paid wasnt too out of line considering the overall condition of the details. It's not something that I would consider worthy of submitting since it does look to have been diped heavily, just not enough of a "shine" to it for that venue, but perfect for sitting in an album.
I see no evidence of dipping.

Hi

I paid $14.95, I was worried that I paid to much.

Like I said I am VERY new when it comes to collecting this coin.

Thanks

Alan

An NGC MS63 of that date sold for $27.50 on Ebay recently, and I bet, with time, you could get one for less than that. So, since you said you welcome comments, I think you could have gotten a lot more coin for a little bit more money.

The reason I mentioned that it looked diped is due to how it looks like this coin I had recieved prior to letting it sit in acetone for 48 hours.

1920BuffNic.jpg

It may or may not have been diped, but from the looks of it when compaired to this one (color of the remaining blotches) I would suspect it to have been treated the same as the one I had put into an album.

-Chris#2

The reason I mentioned that it looked diped is due to how it looks like this coin I had recieved prior to letting it sit in acetone for 48 hours.

1920BuffNic.jpg

It may or may not have been diped, but from the looks of it when compaired to this one (color of the remaining blotches) I would suspect it to have been treated the same as the one I had put into an album.

-Chris#2

Really? I see a LOT of luster on the Buff, and usually I wouldn't see that much on a dipped coin. the 1936 looks pretty original, to me.

It does have good eye appeal.
Sorry, I'm not seeing it the way you are. It looks dull and somewhat spotty/splotchy.

Well, as we all know, grading is subjective.

Hi

I paid $14.95, I was worried that I paid to much.

Like I said I am VERY new when it comes to collecting this coin.

Thanks

Alan

An NGC MS63 of that date sold for $27.50 on Ebay recently, and I bet, with time, you could get one for less than that. So, since you said you welcome comments, I think you could have gotten a lot more coin for a little bit more money.

I'm gonna have to disagree...the 1936 looks dipped to me. It doesn't have much wear on the Buff's hip so it didn't circulate long yet it seems dull in the photo. It also looks too "white". JMO though.

To the OP: My suggestion is to go out and get a nice choice MS 1938-D. They are pretty common so you can find many and choose one you really like....plus they are pretty cheap.

jom

EDIT TO ADD: Go get that book first like Chris suggested...

noow - I have noticed over a series of several threads that you seem to be quite a beginner. Most of what you have been saying has been wrong. That coin is clearly AU, has splotchy/negative eye appeal, and there is no luster at all showing in the photo's. Since you are new, I will give you a recommendation - buy a couple of books, learn what you are talking about, and then try again. The OP purchased a coin for significantly more than its worth, and its nothing special or rare - the advice Mark Feld offers is almost always spot on.

noow - I have noticed over a series of several threads that you seem to be quite a beginner. Most of what you have been saying has been wrong. That coin is clearly AU, has splotchy/negative eye appeal, and there is no luster at all showing in the photo's. Since you are new, I will give you a recommendation - buy a couple of books, learn what you are talking about, and then try again. The OP purchased a coin for significantly more than its worth, and its nothing special or rare - the advice Mark Feld offers is almost always spot on.

Oh great, more belittling.

1920BuffNic.jpg

-Chris#2

Chris - nickel should not turn that color. When a nickel coin is black like that, it means there is significant corrosion. I'm guessing the coin in the OP looked like that at one time, and then was dipped, hence the dull and lackluster appearance. An original AU should have significant luster left, and only wear on the high points.

Not belittling - friendly advice, call it. You are young, new, and inexperienced. Nothing belittling about it. My advice is, learn from those of us who have been doing this longer, read some books, gain some knowledge. It is a simple fact, what you have been saying in this thread and several other recent threads has been wrong.

1920BuffNic.jpg

-Chris#2

Chris - nickel should not turn that color. When a nickel coin is black like that, it means there is significant corrosion. I'm guessing the coin in the OP looked like that at one time, and then was dipped, hence the dull and lackluster appearance. An original AU should have significant luster left, and only wear on the high points.

I fully agree, that's why I origionally said that I felt the coin had been diped at one point or another. The picture I had posted was of one that I had as a reference as to why I felt the OP's coin had a dip treatment. This picture was taken before I left the coin in acetone for 48 hours. After 48 hours it looked simular to the OP's coin.

-Chris#2

Not belittling - friendly advice, call it. You are young, new, and inexperienced. Nothing belittling about it. My advice is, learn from those of us who have been doing this longer, read some books, gain some knowledge. It is a simple fact, what you have been saying in this thread and several other recent threads has been wrong.

Even more? Sigh.....

Chris - acetone is not dip. Acetone will remove organic matter, but will not strip the metal. If there is already corrosion, as on your coin, the surface left will be dull, yes. But do not confuse an acetone soak for a dip - the two are not the same.

noow - if you can't take friendly advice, then I'm afraid I've got nothing left for you.

Even more? Sigh.....

What is belittling about saying you should read a book and gain more knowledge? How old are you? I believe you said 16 somewhere recently. If you take it as belittling and an insult to say that you are young and inexperienced, then the world is going to be a cruel and unpleasant place. I'm not going to butter you up and sugarcoat things. Its the real world out here - if you're wrong, I'm going to tell you so. I'm also going to give you advice on how to improve yourself. If you can't handle that, then you've got bigger problems.

What is belittling about saying you should read a book and gain more knowledge? How old are you? I believe you said 16 30somewhere recently. If you take it as belittling and an insult to say that you are young and inexperienced, then the world is going to be a cruel and unpleasant place. I'm not going to butter you up and sugarcoat things. Its the real world out here - if you're wrong, I'm going to tell you so. I'm also going to give you advice on how to improve yourself. If you can't handle that, then you've got bigger problems.

What is belittling about saying you should read a book and gain more knowledge? How old are you? I believe you said 16 30somewhere recently. If you take it as belittling and an insult to say that you are young and inexperienced, then the world is going to be a cruel and unpleasant place. I'm not going to butter you up and sugarcoat things. Its the real world out here - if you're wrong, I'm going to tell you so. I'm also going to give you advice on how to improve yourself. If you can't handle that, then you've got bigger problems.

Alright, just settle down a bit and listen. Many folks here has offered some very good advice and some comments that are just as correct as can be. If your new at this game, you can get "BURNED" and is always a good idea to educate yourself in the series you are interested in. You have chose Buffalo Nickels, good choice, their beautiful and very tough to grade and if you find a nice uncirculated 38D Buff like Jom has suggested, study that coin, learn from it . The book by David W. Lange "The complete guide to Buffalo Nickels" is a very good book I have one and I love it. Take these offeres and run with it, learn & grow....Joe

Ya know you do need a licence to collect these....

big-buffalo-cop-stops-car.jpg