• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade

14 posts in this topic

Are those scratches and blotches on the holder or the coin? It would help to photo it without the holder.

As for FBL, I think it is.

If the marks and lines are on the coin, I would have to give it a MS61 to 62 FBL.

I can't determine which or how many imperfections are on the coin itself

Too hard to grade from these scans, still it is a nice looking example.

Oh and welcome to the boards!!

If you got it from a roll, it probably grades MS-63 or 64, and almost certainly no FBL.

noow - how on earth can you call it FBL from those pics?

1960's Franklins are exceptionally scarce in FBL - such that the odds are overwhelmingly against you getting them.

Noow posts on every topic... without regard to whether his posts are informative or accurate.

It's a friendly place :cloud9:

Noow posts on every topic... without regard to whether his posts are informative or accurate.

It's a friendly place :cloud9:

It is a friendly place. But when you state that coins are FBL when you have no way of knowing.... or when you recommend to other beginners that they should slab modern proof nickels sight unseen, i will draw objection. Thanks for quoting me in your sig. Now others will be forewarned.

body

Save

THis one of 5 coins i recieved with an estate auction buy the grading service known to give all coins high grade these coins look real good to the naked eye,what i want to know is would they be worth sending for regradeing by ngc orpcgs?

114960.jpg.b519c8c2f24c171b259f839c6fafb1fd.jpg

body

Save

THis one of 5 coins i recieved with an estate auction buy the grading service known to give all coins high grade these coins look real good to the naked eye,what i want to know is would they be worth sending for regradeing by ngc orpcgs?

That one I would advise against sending for regrade simply because you can find them reasonably cheap that are already graded by ngc. Most likely that coin would come back as a 69 anyhow and at a grade of PF69UCAM you can usually pick them up for $14.99 or so each.

-Chris#2

the 1962D half has a scrape on the cheekbone and the reverse has a dark carbon spot on the right bell - would limit coin to 64 tops

the fbl issue is hard to tell from what I can see from pics- NGC has double lines requirement and the top set seems lacking,

You say your research has it in the 66-68 range - what research have you done? have you searched archives at Teletrade and Heritage? Have you gone to major auctions and viewed thousands of coins? Have you taken any grading courses? Do you have a local coin dealer that can be a mentor of sorts?

After years of doing what you are thinking (learn to grade by submitting), you find that by starting with a $20 -$30 coin, and paying a grading company $20 -$30+ for grading/shipping/insurance, you will still have a $20-$30 coin, but now in plastic.

Many people would rather have spent that money on buying another coin, as long as you are not buying a $5 coin for that amount.