• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's Responsibility Is It?

35 posts in this topic

This may be an aside, but I am rather astonished at how infrequently folks use the "grade guarantee" when the situation calls for it. More often than not (much more often), they would rather dump the coin on eBay or place it in an auction and hope to just "get out of it". This based on numerous discussions in the past, although I don't have any hard statistics to back up the claim.
My experiences and observations concerning this subject are admittedly limited. However, it is my impression that the major grading companies sometimes make the process long and difficult, thereby discouraging use of their grading guarantees.
Ugh!

No Kidding.

I've had a grade guarantee in ATS since 3/30/2011 at $27.00 per coin.

TPG's don't really like second guessing themselves and certainly do not want to give the impression that they cannot get it right the first time. As such, you need to be absolutely sure that the coin is over-graded or incorrectly attributed.

The comment is very interesting, to me.

What is the criteria that firmly establishes an absolute and finite conclusion, that cannot be doubted, that will not fail, or in other words, the definition of "sure"?

Is it the TPG providing the service criteria?

Is it their competitor's criteria?

Is it the ANA Grading criteria?

Is it a respected Dealer's criteria?

Is it a noted numismatic Author's criteria?

Logic can't be a tool to settle a "sure" position in this instance, because the very subject is born by opinion, which goodness knows, is usually not a logical opinion with most humans, especially me.

An opinion is certainly not an absolute sure position. If it was, there would not be re-submittals, disagreement, or the need for a grade guaranty.

So, how does the numismatic community resolve the problem?

How do we improve the numismatic community?

I buy a pair "fashion statement" pants for $27.00 (yes, I know not very classy).

The zipper breaks the next day, and it is not opinion, but fact and logic, that it did not break because I am well endowed. The zipper is faulty, in my opinion. I take the pants back. There is a store Warranty/Guarantee. The store requires that I pay $27.00 if I want to exercise the Guarantee, which requires the pants to be sent back to the factory where they were made in order to determine if the zipper is faulty, or if I bought exactly what was intended I paid for- a pair of pants that in their opinion comes with a faulty zipper, as a fashion statement. The process may take 1 year, and it is possible the pants will not be a "fashion statement" when returned, and may be a lower grade quality.

Would the average person return as a customer to this store in the future, if they wanted to buy a pair of "fashion statement" pants, or for that matter, anything else?

If the answer is no, then the store has lost a customer.

If the answer is yes, then a clear choice has been made by the person to accept the opinion and Warranty/Guarantee as dictated by the store. The store retains a customer.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

To answer your question......I would let it go to the highest bidder or buyer. Not worth the headache in dealing with the TPGS. Especially, if the only offer you PART of your money back with a LOWER GRADE. That would irritate me.

To answer your question......I would let it go to the highest bidder or buyer. Not worth the headache in dealing with the TPGS. Especially, if the only offer you PART of your money back with a LOWER GRADE. That would irritate me.

Fortunately, I have never lost money on a Grade Guarantee submission.