• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could There Be a Different Standard

1 post in this topic

Between the Foreign Coin Graders and the U.S. Graders?

Well, I picked up a package from NGC today that had 9 coins graded and one coin bodybagged. The bodybagged coin was my 1874-S Trade Dollar with chopmarks. As some of you may know, I have a custom set made up of chopmarked coins and the 1874-S was destined for that set. Since all my Foreign chopmarked coins have come back Details Graded, I was very surprised that my Trade Dollar came back with a statement that it was not deemed worthy of slabbing.

I wonder if the U.S. guys think of the chopmarked Trade as simply a mutilated coin rather than a historically significant practice used to foster trade in areas where trust was lacking?

Should I resubmit with a statement that I would appreciate a Details grade for the coin or simply a slab that says "Genuine" "Chopmarked" pr something similar. It just puzzles me that all those foreign choped coins would be slabbed while the Trade Dollar continues to get no respect.

Oddly enough, PCGS seems to have know problem slabbing a chopmarked Trade Dollar. What Up!! NGC.

9268.gif

See more journals by BeawChan