• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type Set "Century" Cut-offs

10 posts in this topic

I have a general observation that I thought I would throw out there.

The Type Sets on NGC are separated into sets for the 19th, 20th, and 21st Centuries. These are somewhat arbitrary cut-offs from a numismatic standpoint, but they do make sense and appeal to a lot of collectors (we humans understand the decimal system and so blocks of 100 are appealing). However, my observation has been the following.

19th Century Type Set: Includes coins minted with dates of 1800-1899

20th Century Type Set: Includes coins minted with dates of 1900-1999

21st Century Type Set: Includes coins minted with dates of 2000-present

It's not really a problem, rather just an observation -- but, the century cut offs for the term "20th Century" (as an example) are January 1, 1901 through December 31, 2000. Because the cut-off years of 1800, 1900, and 2000 don't coincide with the start and stop of most coin series, this is kind of a moot point. So, as far as the ramifications, should the 20th Century Type Set include the Sacagawea Dollar? It seems to me that's about the only series that this would impact.

I'll keep a running tally of how many people reply with "who cares". ;)lol

Some use the year the design was introduced, others prefer to include any year the design was issued.

Technically, you are correct. But don't you think that the Sacagawea fits better into a 21st century set?

I definitely think it (the Sac $1) fits better in the 21st Century Set, but I also think the "State Quarters" fit better in that set also. There is just that one year (1999) of issues for the State Quarters that are in the 20th Century Set currently.

Some use the year the design was introduced, others prefer to include any year the design was issued.

That always bugged me. If you have a 19th century set, why would use a 20th century coin (even if the series started in the 19th century)?

It has not been long enough sense Y2K to get into this debate again.

Does anyone remember all the TV coverage, debates and just everyone going nuts about this?

Seek cover now, the world is ending again !!!

That always bugged me. If you have a 19th century set, why would use a 20th century coin (even if the series started in the 19th century)?

While I would usually agree with this, I fudged on my daughter's Whitman "20th Century Type Set" folder because I got a good deal on a 1900 Liberty Head dollar. I originally wanted a 1904-O but couldn't find one I liked at the low price I was willing to offer. May no one point out that it's really a 19th century coin and expose me to public shame!!

Mark me down for "who cares," and go ahead and put the Sac $1 in your 21st century set.

Wow only took you a little over a week for a snarky reply. Guess the ANA had you occupied earlier? ;)