• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still haven't sent my coins in for grading

7 posts in this topic

I don't know what the procrastination is all about.

I'm just literally afraid I will do something wrong. We all like to know what we're getting into before we jump in the pool. We don't want to look stupid, after all. The only way to get experience is to just "do it!".

The coins are most likely NOT counterfeit but you never know. A perfectly honest, but naive person like me could get one and sell it thinking it is real. Then, old naive me would buy it from them....

I had a little problem the last couple of weeks and now I am recovering from a little heart procedure so I have some down-time. Perhaps I can talk myself into jumping now.

I've read the rules probably 20 times and it doesn't sound like rocket science. I'm just such a weenie!

If anyone has scary or not scary tales about their first adventure into getting coins graded, I sure would like to hear them. It might just help this newbie make a move! And maybe other newbies need help. The pros need to help us out.

The picture I have here is one I am proud of. I took advantage of the advice from some pros on photography and this one turned out exceptionally well. The uncropped version was even better.

Take care, all...and remember to keep up on your cardiology check-ups. It saved my life this week. ...and PLEASE send in those stories!

Thanking You in advance,

NovaMomm (alias Sue), Washington, DC

9245.jpg

See more journals by novamomm

It certainly is scary sending the coins out the first time.

As long as you send the registered, and understand it will take a while to get them back, there is really no harm!

If you have any questions, feel free to call NGC, they are very helpful and professional. I think we all have had our ups and downs when submitting coins, but it still is an amazing hobby and the good outweighs the bad by far. Be patient, as jerseycat10 stated the turn around times are getting longer. That being said you can track your submissions and they will update you at each phase of the process. Good luck to you and welcome to the hobby.

Thank You, JerseyCat10 and hunter's gold for the replies and advice. I will be patient. I will tell myself over and over to be patient although I'm not the most patient person in the world (-: Sometimes we just have to be like that, especially when it's out of your control. I will keep telling myself that.

Thanks again,

NovaMomm (alias, Sue)

Yes, it will take some time, but as long as everything gets sent in it will be fine.

Ps- I live right in the middle between the Ravens stadium and the White House.

I found that many of my prized coins, some collected 30 years ago, were coming back with Details "improperly cleaned" grades. Since I never touched the coins, they must have been cleaned by dealers or previous owners in past eras when cleaning coins was very common. So every time I submit any pre-modern coins, I always worry about the cleaning issue and have held many coins back because I suspect they've been cleaned.

I understand completely! I am brand new as well. I recently sent out a damaged 1916 D mercury dime i recently bought and i was REALLY worried about it! It has some obverse damage, but still a GREAT coin. I too read the rules many times! Everyone i showed it too was saying it had XF details and i kept second guessing that. Well i finally decided to send it and it took a LONG time, it seemed like just to get there! 7 business days to be exact. It took even longer to just get past the "received"phase. Well i am proud to say that, as of 3 days ago, it went from "scheduled for grading" to shipped! it is currently on its way home now! And not only is it GENUINE but it came back AU DETAILS!!! I am very excited to have this coin coming home because it is my first 1916 D and i have only been collecting for 3 years now! I did get burnt a couple times from this back-alley dealer when i first started but it taught me to do my research and it pays off!

Sorry for rambling, i am just excited!

Nick