• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin identification help 1998 copper.

4 posts in this topic

I am on business so can not image this coin, but will try as best to identify. Received in change in Niagara Falls, I thought it is Canadian, but when I pulled up images of a 1998 Canadian cent this is not one of them. Obverse, looks similar to Canadian penny, but image is not wearing a crown but rather what looks like a wreath. Left of image is "ELIZABETH II D G" Right of image is " REG F D 1998" On back (medal flip) is ONE PENNY" on top and "1" on bottom There is an image in the middle but tough to describe except looks like a crown on top of a square design. This coin is thicker than a US cent.

It has very little circulation and is mostly red.

Thanks.

The square thing is a porticellus. An type of grate used to close off an entrance or gateway by being lowered into place. Here is a picture of a raised porticellus. When it is lowered you can't get around it because it is built into the wall and the spikes at the bottom fit into holes in the roadway to anchor the bottom and stiffen it to resist impact from someone trying to break through it. It would typically be used to close off gateways through fortification walls.

476249155STDUGl_ph.jpg

I had some foreign coinage in a lot I purchased

and somehow was carrying around a 1/2 P

just like yours but smaller and a half

I purchased some food at McDonalds and counted out the odd change

and the counter person gave me it back

and said, 'this is only a half penny'

caught me off-guard, not sure if they were a genius or what