• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new 1925-D Indian Head QE

11 posts in this topic

The problem with buying from an a place like this is you really have no way of knowing what you are getting. Do they have a guarantee on its authenticity?? I am not saying it is fake as it looks real – the coin is either Au58 or MS 62. I cannot decipher if it was ever cleaned.

I'm sorry, but the picture is so odd I can't make heads or tails of this piece. (No litterally ;)) It is acutally oval shaped on my screen.

Here is an 1925-D quarter eagle in NGC MS-65 that you can use to campare with your piece.

1925-D250O.jpg1925-D250R.jpg

And here is another in AU. This one is raw, but I've owned ir for well over 20 years.

1925-DO-2.jpg1925-DR-2.jpg

This post is meant to comment on my thought process not as a rebuttal

Thanks everyone for your comments, and thanks billjones for posting pics of your coins.

The pic of the coin was shot at an angle on a blue/gray background then cropped down, that’s what’s giving it a raised look, and it’s crazy how just a little change in anything can make a coin look differently or hide something.

I did compare this coin with other member’s pics and on Heritage Auction website plus my books to compare. Now the things that caught my eye are 1. The edges are rounded a little, 2. The eagles eye area, can’t really say why it just did 3. The initials are not struck as well as I think it should be, 4. The whole die is struck off center a little more than "normal", my thought anyways.

So why buy, because I did my home work. Not only about the coin but whom I was buying from, the price is about right for a raw ms-62-63 which sale from 300.00 to 400.00

Thanks Mark T for your posts too, you’re so right about checking everything and being careful, I would also add that you don’t get out of your comfort zone and focus buying only on the coins you have at least some knowledge of.

Sorry long post, just got talkative today for some

This post is meant to comment on my thought process not as a rebuttal

Thanks everyone for your comments, and thanks billjones for posting pics of your coins.

The pic of the coin was shot at an angle on a blue/gray background then cropped down, that’s what’s giving it a raised look, and it’s crazy how just a little change in anything can make a coin look differently or hide something.

I did compare this coin with other member’s pics and on Heritage Auction website plus my books to compare. Now the things that caught my eye are 1. The edges are rounded a little, 2. The eagles eye area, can’t really say why it just did 3. The initials are not struck as well as I think it should be, 4. The whole die is struck off center a little more than "normal", my thought anyways.

So why buy, because I did my home work. Not only about the coin but whom I was buying from, the price is about right for a raw ms-62-63 which sale from 300.00 to 400.00

Thanks Mark T for your posts too, you’re so right about checking everything and being careful, I would also add that you don’t get out of your comfort zone and focus buying only on the coins you have at least some knowledge of.

Sorry long post, just got talkative today for some

3 years ago I purchase a raw 1913 quarter Eagle from a well know EBAY seller of raw quarter Indian gold. I paid around $400 for it.

From the sellers photos the coin looked to be at least MS 62.

When I got it I knew I had a much better coin then that . Long story short and most people who know me here also know this story .

I sent the coin to PCGS – it came back MS 64 – I had CAC look at it – it got a green bean. So for $400 I picked up a $1500 coin.

Sometimes you can get lucky. You had the advantage of seeing the coin in hand , let us know how it grades when you get it back .

I got myself a new fancy digital caliper and checked this coin; I was surprised it showed 17.5mm does anyone if there is a diameter allowance for this coin

It weighs right and I put it under the microscope and all looks right for this year and mint

Does anyone have some thoughts on this

I am sending this coin and others to Heritage auction, so will see what they say

(did check caliper for accuracy, okay)