• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do these naturally toned copper 5oz ATB deserve a star ?

11 posts in this topic

Upon purchasing the new 5oz America the beautiful . I put them in my safe with all my other coins and these coins over time turned the most beautiful shade of copper with hints of navy blue and purple along the rim and sides of the coins . The scans are no where near the true beauty that these coins hold, The obverses that have been on the shelves are pure white and the reverse is awesomely toned. These have to be the first naturally toned Set of ATB 5oz coins.

114439.jpg.9e5b051283121980dfbc0955db69bdbb.jpg

114440.jpg.d139dd05fd773897e938bd1da741ba9f.jpg

114441.jpg.d4440562fac950f7d04234b9091b9190.jpg

114442.jpg.661772465911a1cd1ff1dc22e8267f12.jpg

114443.jpg.1794450d813ac62bb567f39e0dc35d31.jpg

I dont believe they will get a star. Below is a link explaining NGC's Star review a bit more clearly.

Understanding NGC's Star Designation

But I would definately look into what has caused them to tone as quickly as they did though. Otherwise they will continue to tone like that and more than likely start showing either very dark brown (like you would see on most early silver coins) or worse, causing a huge drop in value (close to spot value instead of artistic bullion value)

-Chris#2

star has nothing to do with grades weather high or low end within the grade

it only has to do with the most subjective part of grading

eye appeal

and this means exceptional eye appeal and ngc has certain standards as best as they can be written for coins they want the graders to follow and then award the star to coins that meet ngc written rules for what they want to consitute exceptional eye appeal within a grade

so if a coin lets say gets an ms 65 grade with a star it means exceptional eye appeal and the coin could be a 65 a b or c coin

The Hot Springs and Mount Hood both have areas of no toning. Any ideas what would have caused these blotches? Just curious. I still think there's something funky going on with the chemistry in your safe and I hope you're protecting your other coins. hm

I don't think any of those have exceptional eye appeal at all. They tarnished in a gun safe, big surprise. I don't find them attractive, and they will not star. Now, if you leave them in there and they develop multi-colored rainbow toning, then they might qualify. As is, they are just brown tarnished silver.

And if your safe did that to those coins in a matter of months, I highly encourage you to not store anything valuable in there. Bullion where the value is solely dependent on the price of metal is fine, because most people really don't care what that looks like. But any rare coins I would highly recommend not keeping there.

I have morgans that have been there for years and still look as bright white as the day they were put in there. I didnt expect these coins to tone. The blotches, have to be where the toning didnt finish? I really dont think these will turn a browm. Now the heavy blue and purples around the edges and rim are also breathtaking. I put them individually on ebay. I am really not worried if I sell them. I have showed my other coin collecting friends and they cant believe how nice they are. I even have a 7 day return on the coin if you dont like it.. These coins are that nice !

The untoned spots are most likely where the metal was up against something. Several of the spots also look like fingerprints - the oils from your fingers will change the toning.

And its no surprise that these would tone differently - the pure silver acts differently than coin silver. I would not be surprised if it started affecting your other coins though.

I certainly have full respect for other opinions, but to be honest, the toning does not appeal to me very much. But then again, it's a series I care absolutely nothing about whatsoever, so even if they were flaming rainbow toned ultra-gems, they probably still wouldn't excite me.