• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS-66 SLQ's are they over or under priced?

17 posts in this topic

Are these worth picking up at current prices for the common dates? How "rare" are the FH SLQ's and are they worth paying a big premium?

Both over- and under-priced - if all you look at is the stupid label.

I've seen strictly AU quarters - evidently first strikes from new dies - that put to shame the usual "MS-66" stuff for sharpness, detail and correct luster. Which do you want in a real coin collection: a paper label or a superior coin?

services grade fast and loose with ms 66 that they call full head even non full head and both are mostly weakly struck and overdipped stripped surfaces in this grade if they make the grade at all and even if full head the shield and other elements are horribly struck lol

i think they are MOSTLY all overpriced not all but mostly all

i guess the short answer is i agree with roger's post above mine

also most all of these ms 66 standers are always available and common to boot

yuk

:sick:

I had a FH MS 63 that was one of the nicest that I had ever seen. So, I'm not sayin' it ain't worth it just that SOME lower grades are every bit as nice and much easier on the wallet. JMHO.

I had a FH MS 63 that was one of the nicest that I had ever seen. So, I'm not sayin' it ain't worth it just that SOME lower grades are every bit as nice and much easier on the wallet. JMHO.

Yep... Just ran into a monstrous struck better dated MS62 ultimate FH while surfing the web.

IMO, most of these "strike designated" coins (FH, FB etc) are exceedingly overrated. You can find very nice material in non-Full Whatever at a fraction of the cost many times AND get just as good a strike overall. Maybe the bands or head aren't "full" but they are close. FH is especially misrepresented as most of the time even with FH the shield isn't struck out so you really don't have a FULLY STRUCK coin...so why the premium? This all holds, IMO, whether the coins is graded MS66 or AU58 or whatever...

The one thing I have noticed is that the non-Full stuff really doesn't gain over time. I've got a couple of nice non-FB dimes (18-S and 19-S) that haven't gained in value in at least 15 years.

jom

So how about the following question: Are true, original, well struck (throughout) MS66 Standing Liberty Quarters over priced, under priced, or just right? Does this hold true for the same coin with the FH designation? I'm curious because I have seen a couple that I am thinking about purchasing.

So how about the following question: Are true, original, well struck (throughout) MS66 Standing Liberty Quarters over priced, under priced, or just right? Does this hold true for the same coin with the FH designation? I'm curious because I have seen a couple that I am thinking about purchasing.

Thats to general a question to answer. While I will agree that the premiums paid for the most common date examples with FH designations is simply ridiculous. Give me a date/grade or designation with an asking price and I can offer an experienced opinion.

It's true with these as it is with anything else. Some are well worth it while others suffer from gradeflation. Use your common sense and your technical knowledge and look for a good PQ example. If you do that your money will be well spent. IMHO.

The BEST way to know is to look at as many SLQ's as possible and after awhile you will slowly begin to know and understand the rarity and valuation of fully struck coins vs. typical. You'll also learn which issues are more common or rarer. Experience will tell all.

I've never been interested in strike on coins...or at least I've never had a desire to get the ultimate FULL strike of any coin. I'm far more interested in toning and luster...that is just me. That is what I find eye appealing....others differ. So I don't have a lot of experience in FH SLQ's only because it never interested me too much. If it floats your boat go do what I said above and eventually YOU'LL be teaching the rest of us....

jom

My honest opinions is that SLQs are well overpriced in 66, with or without a FH designation.

However.... the very few 67s out there are TRUE 67s are probably worth your while. And 68s are even better IF THEY ARE TRUE 68s (are there any?).