• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 Trime crossover.

22 posts in this topic

Hello all! I bought this in an older ANACS and cracked it out. One of those seller listed-bad photo sales that left me with a coin that- IF it downgrades, It'll still be a profit. I got lucky. Anyway, it's in QUALITY CONTROL hell right now, and wanted to know what you guys/gals thought it would come in at. I'll post what the former grade was when the new grade comes in.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

It appears to be a Proof. At any rate it's almost impossible to tell you much about the coin from a picture. One has to swirl it in the light and check out the luster. The color could be original and choice (I just bought a Proof piece that looked somthing like this), or it could be AT.

Having said that there have been some very nice coins in the old ANACS holders. This might be one of them.

At any rate it's almost impossible to tell you much about the coin from a picture.

I know it's nearly impossible to be accurate, but the thread is called "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? :A forum dedicated to asking forummites to guesstimate the grade of coins or notes from a picture."

I thought it'd be fun for me to jump in.

I do appreciate and respect your knowledge Bill. Best.

You could tell us if it is a Proof or a business strike. That refers to how it was struck, not a state preservation. At least that way one can start to provide an opinion. Certainly ANACS rendered that opinion, didn’t they?

As for grading Proofs, it really comes down the the number of hairlines if it is something beyond PR-63. Sorry, but you can't grade them a precise number basis from most photos.

Bill, it is a business strike(says ANACS). It is not the overdate 62/1 variety(not that the price difference really matters).

I tell you what.....coin photography really is a skill. I took so many photos and this was the best I could come up with. I think later down the road, I'll sell some of my collection and purchase some good equipment. Rather than use a milk jug and my shoe to take these pics... Don't ask.

Gut feel: MS-62.

It could grade higher, but the toning around the edge of the obverse kind of bothers me. It could be surface damage because ot seems to have an odd gray cast to it in the photo. Color like this is unusual on a business strike, or at least that's my impression. Usually the Proofs look like this.

It looks to me like the slightest trace of rub on the reverse elements. However, toning like that is rarely seen on non-MS examples, and I feel that that alone is market acceptable to get it into a MS63 holder. I wouldn't be shocked seeing it anywhere from AU58-MS64.

I can't tell because of the heavy toning, but it looks MS63 from the pictures.

Can you reveal the grade?

Does the toning appear to be hiding any contact marks?

The fields are perfect. There are minor dings on the raised rims of the design. more obvious on the reverse. I can see them in the picture, as I'm sure you can.