• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RWB's latest article - Purchasing (or not) proof coins in 1909

6 posts in this topic

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, our own RWB's latest article, in the August 8, 2011 edition of Coin World, discusses the Mint's practice of selling Proof coins to collectors a century ago.

He mentions that few records exist regarding Proof coin sales from that era. However, he did discover a ledger that listed medal and Proof coin orders between 1895 and 1906. The ledger doesn't list what the collectors ordered, just the amounts they paid.

He also quotes from a 1909 letter from a collector who was annoyed that he couldn't purchase a Proof Lincoln cent - they were only produced for a short time and were sold out by the time he ordered. (He also discusses the Mint personnel's reactions to the letter.)

Thanks for another great article, Roger!

Thanks! This was written quite a while ago. CW did a great job on the presentation!

The article came about because I do not toss aside seemingly-irrelevant or unexplainable letters and memos. Unlike the practice of some so-called experts, everything has potential connections and value. Materials for the article were collected over more than 7 years before there was sufficient to "see" the bigger picture.

(A similar example is the article about a person who possibly suggested modifying the date on the 1925 Standing Liberty quarter, also published in Coin World.)

PS: If anyone knows of an ancestor who collected coins, and might have bought form the US Mint between 1895 and 1910, please let me know. I will look up your ancestor's name in the sales journal next time I'm in Philadelphia, copy the journal page and send it to you. No charge - just for numismatic interest.

PS: If anyone knows of an ancestor who collected coins, and might have bought form the US Mint between 1895 and 1910, please let me know. I will look up your ancestor's name in the sales journal next time I'm in Philadelphia, copy the journal page and send it to you. No charge - just for numismatic interest.

I wish my ancestors or relatives would have collected coins. What I inherited from my great-great aunt's trip to the Louis & Clark Expo was a carved wooden egg. No commemorative gold for me. doh!