• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annual reappearance of the “1910 VDB Cent” noted.

2 posts in this topic

About once a year, the story of the “1910 VDB Cent” burrows out of the soil and flies around in confusion before going dormant with cool weather. In case you want to swat this annoying critter, here is some material for making your own “Cent Swatter.”

1. 1909 VDB cents have the letters raised, just like the balance of the reverse inscriptions.

2. Raised letters on the coins require incuse letters on the working die.

3. Attempts to remove the incuse letters from a die will create a depression equal in depth to the deepest part of the letters you want to remove.

4. The result of striking coins will be a prominent bump on the coin were the letters “VDB” once appeared.

5. Internal Mint documents by Engraver Charles Barber state that he made a new master hub (which has raised lettering, like a coin) and removed “VDB” from the hub.

6. All non-VDB dies were made from the new hub, and a lower relief successor hub.

7. All obsolete VDB dies were destroyed – they were useless.

To make your very own “Cent Swatter,” print the above two times. Put glue on the back of one print and put a long wooden stick across part of the paper. Place the other print, plain side down, and press the papers together so they bond to each other and the stick. Allow to dry. Take to your next coin club meeting and when someone says, “Hey, Joe! D’youz see ‘dat artik’l about dem’ 1910 VDB penniez…?” You can swat the offender into unconsciousness before the critter spreads.

(This will usually be effective until the “Bare Breasted Liberty” bug emerges from its cocoon in late September.)

[Want details? Look in Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 ]

Probably gets old for those who've had to read it a dozen times now, but today was the first time I read the article, having only arrived here two months ago. I'm sure I'll be rolling my eyes a few years from now, but it was interesting this time around, both the original article and your points above. =)