• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold FDR Inaugural medal

7 posts in this topic

During the visit of King Ibn Saud with President Roosevelt on February 14, 1945, the President presented the King with a gold fourth-term Inaugural medallion (with special leather case). Does anyone know of the whereabouts of this gold inaugural medal?

During the visit of King Ibn Saud with President Roosevelt on February 14, 1945, the President presented the King with a gold fourth-term Inaugural medallion (with special leather case). Does anyone know of this whereabouts of the gold inaugural medal?

I checked my sock drawer, and it isn't there :( .

A gold inaugural medal for Franklin Roosevelt. I find that somewhat ironic.

I would try checking with the King's family. There would probably be no reason to sell it of give it away. It is probably either still in the family holding or in a state museum collection.

Medal expert Joe Levine told me that he was offered this medal several years ago, so presumably it is no longer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

[PS: Joe knows more about medals than virtually anyone. He holds one auction per year, but also has medals listed on ebay from time to time.]

Yes, Joe probably has more inaugural medals avaiable than anyone. I know he has two 1905 Theodore Roosevelt medals that were design by Augustus St. Gaudens. According to the 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens book, 125 of these pieces were cast. (That's right they were cast, not struck.) I dare say that it is rarer today. I wish I had the extra money to spring for one of them, but you can't buy everything.

I dabble in inauguration medals and only have some of the more common pieces in bronze. My best one is a U.S. mint version (as opposed to the Medallic Art Company version) 1933 FDR medal in large part because of his line in his inaugural address, "The worst thing we have to fear is fear its self!" That was one of the best things FDR did to combat The Great Depression. He was great about giving the nation hope and putting up a brave front to the people. His policies, however, were often counterproductive.