• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp Swiss Schutzenfest Medal

7 posts in this topic

My boss went on his honeymoon last month with his new wife and I worked 12 consecutive days. As a reward I bought this after thinking about it for two months.

1902 Fleurier (Neuchatel)

R-986a

45mm - Silver

Bernard Ulysse Jacot

1902Neuchatel986a-1.jpg

1902Neuchatel986a-2.jpg

1902Neuchatel986a-3.jpg

The medal is absolutely perfect and fully deserves the MS-67 grade. The sheer size and high relief almost qualify this as sculpture, especially the obverse.

The scratches seen on both sides are on the holder, not the medal. You would think that a $400 certified coin would ship inside a plastic slab protector before it is put into a cardboard Safe-T-Mailer. You would be wrong. When are coin dealers going to understand that the glue on the inside of the Safe-T-Mailers is gritty and toxic to the surface of NGC slabs? If I sell a slabbed coin it ships in a slab protector and in a clean ziplock. I wish (insert names of several major auction companies and coin dealers here) would take more care in shipping their coins. Fire the kid in shipping and give the job to an old guy who will treat every coin as if it were his own.

Ok, end of rant. I love the medal but find the holder most annoying. But there are two ice cold pale ales in the fridge and that will cheer me up... =)

The scratches seen on both sides are on the holder, not the medal. You would think that a $400 certified coin would ship inside a plastic slab protector before it is put into a cardboard Safe-T-Mailer. You would be wrong. When are coin dealers going to understand that the glue on the inside of the Safe-T-Mailers is gritty and toxic to the surface of NGC slabs? If I sell a slabbed coin it ships in a slab protector and in a clean ziplock. I wish (insert names of several major auction companies and coin dealers here) would take more care in shipping their coins. Fire the kid in shipping and give the job to an old guy who will treat every coin as if it were his own.

Firstly, this is a stunningly beautiful medal! Congrats on a perfect piece of history (an MS67 graded medal that's 109 years old is pretty impressive!).

Secondly, I agree with your rant about careless shippers! And, unfortunately, even for the coins that are in the new "Scratch Resistant" holders, these holders are NOT scratch PROOF. It doesn't take much to scuff them up. Some are recoverable with products like "Slab Renew" to get rid of scuffs. But, maybe people don't realize they can go to their nearest Hobby Lobby and buy a package of 100 little zip-lock bags that fit slabs perfectly for like $5.

My shipping safety measures are:

1) Little zippy bag

2) a quick wrap of the bag with that really thin foamy stuff (I don't know what it's called, but it's the stuff that new electronics come wrapped in).

3) A carefully wrapped SOFT paper towel around the foam.

4) Two rubber bands to keep it all in tact.

5) Small bubble mailer for cushion.

These simple measures cost me pennies, and it saves the slab from nicks, dings, and even the occasional USPS back room package toss football game. ;)

Beautiful medal!! Don't let the holder get you down, the pure beauty of the contents shine through.