• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Prices on Morgans and Other Coins ???

11 posts in this topic

I've been looking alot lately for a new dealer to buy coin's from and thought this may be a good place to ask .

Has anyone here bought coins from Paul Sim's Inc and What Should I expect from them when they say Brilliant Uncirculated , What Tech Grade do they consider BU ? MS60 , 62 Etc ?

Also What about Skyline ? Same Question , BU , Tech Grade ???

If you have bought from these dealer's your imput would be Greatly Appreciated !!!

Can Anyone Point out Other Coin Dealer's with the Best Prices on PQ Coin's ???

Thanks In Adavance ...

PS. I posted this here because the US Coin's seem's to get more view's ,

I hope no one mind's .

Thanks Again !

The first problem you face is buying a coin that is as old as a Morgan dollar (or older) advertised as BU! What conditions were these coins stored under to preserve their surfaces as brilliant? Simply put, most of these advertised coins are dipped and low-end uncirculated or AU. Don't fall for it.

Hoot

Sims, as well as a few others, got drug through the proverbial mud, some 15 years ago, for supposedly selling AU coins as Unc. As you can see, he 'survived', and continues to offer Unc. coins... a couple of others didn't... good luck!!! smile.gif

Well--

I can! say that he managed to stay in business...!!! I've never purchased from him, but recall a couple of others that gave mixed reviews... sorry I can't be of more help to you...

It might be of help, to give them a call before you buy!!! Perhaps they offer an acceptable return policy, as well as a 'heads-up' that you aren't going to take any 'sliders'...!!! smile.gif

Rak...Skyline...hit and miss....bought several Morgans and Walkers from them before I "knew better". Some of the Morgans are probably in the 62 range. Others, as well as all the Walkers (I'm convinced) are AU and well dipped.

If you decide to try them, give the coins a good look, and don't be afraid to return.

The only raw coin dealer that I know personally who advertizes in Coin World and who has a no questions asked return policy on grade, is Jack Behmer here in good old Santa Rosa. Jack also is a very straight grader with many, many years of experience. He is not stupid, however, so don't expect to flim-flam him out of bargains.

Several years ago, I visited many of these Coin World dealer's shops while on business trips. Almost all of the low priced ones that I visited (who shall remain nameless) did not give me confidence in their grading. Whether they are pushing the line on grading probiety, who is too say. I just did not see any Morgan or Peace dollars that I felt would make the grade that they were marked as. tongue.gif

That's why they are still raw. There is no secret cave in the mountains that spews forth high-grade coins. In fact, almost all high quality mint bags disappeared years ago (particularly Morgan and Peace dollars). In fact on better dates, there are damn few unsearched rolls anymore.:p

I live very close to Paul Sims. I would strongly advise you not to buy raw, sight unseen Morgan dollars from him. Most of the nicer Morgans you will find slabbed these days. Yes, they cost more than Sims "bargain" prices, but in reality you get what you pay for. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.