• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1872 $1 - Bleach toned? Market acceptable?

9 posts in this topic

I just received this from JEL Coins. At first blush, I thought this looked like it might make a good replacement to my "white" XF 1871 I already have. Someone else noted that they believe that this was bleach toned and is a pass. Really? Your thoughts?

[Note: Coin was photographed in 2X2 so there is some reflection around rim.]

1872_1_-_XF_-_Obverse_small.jpg1872_1_-_XF_-_Reverse_small.jpg

It doesn't pass my eye test, FWIW.

The 'bloblike' reverse toning is unattractive.

The coin appears cleaned as well, especially the obverse.

Agree and there also appears to be some rim problems. This dealer sells a lot of raw problem coins and is an example of why grading services are so popular. Suggest that you return this coin if it isn't too late.

Do what I did. I have a cleaned XF Morgan and I used a q tip to apply a bit of bleach to see what it would do to silver...

It may not be original (how many seated dollars are?), but I seriously doubt it is "bleach toned". Bleach turns silver into wacky colors, and eventually black, in my experience.

The reverse seems mildly corroded, though.

To me, the coin is about on par as average for the series.

It won't grade, even it didn't have the other problems.

This one got a body bag when I sent it in to be graded. It had eye appeal and some luster. I sold it to a dealer who was building a Dansco album type set for a collector.

1872DollarrecolorO.jpg1872DollarrecolorR.jpg